Infernal beeping please help!

Promyvion

Beta member
Hello TF community,
I have been having an issue with my machine as of late to where it will randomly give off internal beeps with seemingly no rhyme or reason. These beeps will go from anywhere to 3 beeps to hundreds of beeps in sequence so there is no honest error code here. I unplugged the internal speaker that was included with my motherboard to see if that actually produced the sound, but it was not the culprit. I cannot think of another place inside my machine that has an internal speaker and honing in on the sound with my own ear is proving to be a waste of my time. Nothing on my machine seems to be affected, I have no errors or issues, my temp monitors are stable at 45ºC CPU and 29ºC MB idle and I've been running this machine for 4 years without this problem until recently. Does anyone have any suggestion as to what in my machine might have an internal speaker or what may be causing it? I edited my PC specs in my profile but I don't know if that will show up here so this is what I have:

Processor (CPU):
AMD Phenom II x4 955
Cooling:
Ultra ChillTec Black CPU cooler & fan
Motherboard:
ASUS M5A97
RAM:
16gig Corsair Vengeance DDR3 (4x4)
GPU:
XFX Radeon HD 6770
Hard Drive:
750gig Western Digital Caviar Blue 7200rpm
PSU:
Apevia Iceberg 680w
Case:
Raidmax Smilodon
Operating System:
Windows 7 Ultimate x64

If it's beeping there has to be a piezo transducer on that board some where. When you start up most modern boards it chirps to let you know it's ok or it beeps a code to let you know something is wrong.

On my board a steady beep beep beep that doesn't stop is a high temp alert or a stalled fan. You may want to check see if one is dragging. It may be stalling from time to time setting off the alert.
Check the bios to make sure all of your temp and stalled fan settings are correct. Don't disable them. They're there for a reason.
Also check your voltages as the bios sees them. If the bios has alerts for out of range voltages, look real close at which ones appear to be out of range. Could be a flakey power supply.

The manual says there isn't an onboard one so it's weird to continue.

Is your time staying accurate? Might be a dying battery

I haven't experienced any lost time on my clock, checking further with my ear it almost sounds as though it's coming from the SPDIF input, but I don't think that could possibly have an internal speaker, could it?

Neither the optical or spdif can make noise. If you pop the side panel and look at the mother board in that area you'll probably spot the piezo.

There's a problem and your mother board is trying to tell you something.

Neither the optical or spdif can make noise. If you pop the side panel and look at the mother board in that area you'll probably spot the piezo.

There's a problem and your mother board is trying to tell you something.

It makes no sense that it would be my motherboard trying to report an error as there's no onboard internal speaker and the internal speaker that beeps upon startup once to give the OK from my motherboard was unplugged to better help diagnose the cause of the sound. It must be coming from another component or something but the only thing in that area is my GPU and I've already taken that out to see if there's a speaker on that and there is not. Also, as I stated earlier, there's no specific sequence of beeps, it's totally random so how could it be an error code? I cannot fix anything if there is a problem based on sporadic noises.

Just because the onboard speaker isn't giving the beeps DOESN'T mean it's not the mother board, That speaker is system error codes, But there are other things that won't trip that as there maybe another on the MB, My guess is agreeing with another post the PS may be on the way out and something may be either getting low or high voltage spikes causing the error and making it beep, Not a consistent beep code well it may be causing different issues with bad voltage or dirty power. Just something to look into.

If the motherboard doesn't have a case speaker attached, and you don't have a GPU or other type of add-in card that has a built in "speaker", then the noise you are hearing can't come from the computer tower it self if it is in fact a beep you hear.

You are positive it's not coming from your speakers on the desktop, or something in the area?

Only other thing I could fathom is a noisy choke or other component on the motherboard that has gone bad since it's been stated that the board has no speaker attached, and certainly doesn't have one built in.

Is a smoke detector in the same room? They have the most God awful chirp. It sounds like it's every where when it chirps.

Back
Top Bottom