New build

acerinpa

Fully Optimized
OK - have someone ready for me to build them a new gaming PC, he does want to steam/make videos when he is gaming. So, does he need hyperthreading to do that (i5 vs i7). He has both an SSD and a 2 TB HHD drive he will bring over from old PC that has WIN7 64 bit on it. Has monitor, but eventually wants to run dual monitors. Currently using a 290 GPU and does not want to purchase new GPU at this time. They hope to have the system last a minimum of 3 years. They currently are using AMD phenom PC built 3.5 years ago that is no longer cutting it.

1) CPU = Skylake or Devils Canyon/Haswell? :

i5 CPU's = much more affordable- so we will go with these unless I find that he must use an i7 - options wanted.

A) Skylake:

( unlocked) Intel Core i5-6600K 6M Skylake Quad-Core 3.5 GHz LGA 1151 95W BX80662I56600K Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 530 - Newegg.com = $270

(not unlocked) = Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, LED LCD TV, Digital Cameras and more - Newegg.com $230

B) Devils Canyon=( unlocked)

Intel Core i5-4690K Haswell Refresh Quad-Core 3.5GHz LGA 1150 Desktop Processor BX80646I54690K - Newegg.com - Newegg.com = $215

The Devils Canyon is $65 cheaper and unlocked - my guy says he wont overclock- but ya never know. Although the locked 3.3 Mhz Skylake at $230 is possibly more "future proof".

2) CPU cooler: This is good enough and fits all options. Noctua NH-U14S 140mm SSO2-Bearing (Self-stabilising oil-presure bearing) CPU Cooler - Newegg.com $75

3) PSU = http://www.newegg.com/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151087
Big enough to SLI/Crossfire and fully Modular.

4) CASE= It must be well cooled and large enough to hold a 290 GPU or bigger as that is what he currently has and wants to transfer over to new build for now. I have a Fractal R4 and I like it. Maxed price= $130.

Have read good stuff on this:Phanteks “ Enthoo Pro Series “ PH-ES614P_BK Black Steel / Plastic ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Newegg.com = $100

5) MOBO:

A) Skylake=
ASRock Z170 Pro4 LGA 1151 Intel Z170 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard - Newegg.com = $110

B) Devils Canyon = http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157507 = $115

6) RAM:

A) DDR4 ( Skylake) = CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2400 (PC4 19200) Memory Kit Model CMK16GX4M2A2400C14R - Newegg.com = dual channel ( 2 x 8) = 16 GB = $85

B DDR3 ( Devils Canyon/Haswell) = Mushkin Enhanced STEALTH 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3L 1600 (PC3L 12800) Desktop Memory Model 997110S - Newegg.com = dual channel (2 x 8 )= 16 GB = $75

SO parts that works for all options= CPU cooler = $75, PSU= $150, Case=$100 = 325.

Option#1) Skylake CPU ( locked at 3.3 Mhz)=$230, Ram=$85, MOBO= $100 = subtotal of $415 - so a total of $740 or an extra $40 for unlocked version.

Option#2) Devils Canyon (unlocked 3.5 Mhz)=$215, Ram= $75, MOBO= $115= subtotal of $405 - so total of $730.

How surprised am I - expected the Skylake to be much more expensive. So, I guess need input from all you "guru's" on which system to build for him and if I needs the i7 for the gaming video stuff or not. Is the upgrade to the unlocked Skylake worth it?

Last edited:
Actually, the build could be much cheaper. Honestly, it's kind of dumb to upgrade this whole rig and stick with the 290. If he had an Nvidia GPU he could use that for streaming instead of requiring a powerful processor.

Also, I have a 955BE still running all games 100%. Not sure what his issue is besides maybe having an upgrade bug.

1: That depends but your total at the end shows a 10 dollar difference that can be realistically brought down easy enough. I'd do Skylake.

2: This is better and cheaper.
CORSAIR Hydro Series H60 (CW-9060007-WW) Water Cooler - Newegg.com

3: PSU is good but if he doesn't want to upgrade for 3 years on the GPU then what's the point? Could get an 80 dollar 520W unit and call it a day. Also, moving to Nvidia now or later means way less power draw.

4: I have the Enthoo Pro and it's a good case. The only deal with it is it needs the fans to be upgraded.

5: What's the point in expensive boards if overclocking isn't a thing? I believe ASRock is about to release a slew of bios that support bclk overclocks on non K Skylake chips.
ASRock H110M COMBO-G LGA 1151 Intel H110 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard - Newegg.com

6: Little bit cheaper.
PNY Anarchy 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2400 (PC4 19200) Desktop Memory Model MD16GK2D4240015AR - Newegg.com

All in all I think he should reconsider the approach being taken with the upgrade.

OK spoke with them - and after discussing, they agree. Time to go "all out" and dump the 290 as well. He will try and sell the whole old system and put in another HHD ( transfer his HHD to new system). NOW he is willing to overclock as well and understand it helps the longevity of the system. Not really an upgrade bug- he plays "Mech warriors" and is crashing a lot, wants to stream, etc. So, I don't know if the MOBO , Phenom, RAM or the 290 is not functioning properly or what . I will check it out before he sells to see if I can figure out the issue - or if it just needs tweaking/cleaning, etc.

PP - I like the idea of using the liquid cooling you suggested - but have never installed or even seen one in use. May need some help on it.

The MOBO you linked is a micro - is that an oversight? So, I will keep the one I linked for now. NOT sold on that MOBO.

So, now getting down to business:

1) CPU = unlocked Skylake Intel Core i5-6600K 6M Skylake Quad-Core 3.5 GHz LGA 1151 95W BX80662I56600K Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 530 - Newegg.com = $270

2) CPU Cooler = CORSAIR Hydro Series H60 (CW-9060007-WW) Water Cooler - Newegg.com - =$60

3) RAM - PNY Anarchy 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2400 (PC4 19200) Desktop Memory Model MD16GK2D4240015AR - Newegg.com = $75

4) PSU - as above = $150

5) MOBO - as above= $110

6) CASE - as above = $100

SO, about $770 without a new GPU. I think the most he will spend is another $300 - 350, which puts him into a 970 I believe.

EVGA GeForce GTX 970 04G-P4-3975-KR 4GB SSC GAMING w/ACX 2.0+, Whisper Silent Cooling Graphics Card - Newegg.com = $350 - figured start here and then more discussion for fine tuning.

total= about $1200 by the time you pay shipping, etc. unless we find some additional discount/combos ,etc.

So- if they sell the other PC for $300- 400 , then he is under $900 out of pocket and it will be ready to do some hard gaming and streaming for several years. The only other upcoming purchase will be an additional monitor(s) so they can have a 2 display setup. Currently using a 1080p 26 inch of mediocre quality. Will they be able to keep his Win7 64bit that is on the HHD currently? They do not want to go to Win10 if possible.

As usual thanks for the help...

Last edited:
OK spoke with them - and after discussing, they agree. Time to go "all out" and dump the 290 as well. He will try and sell the whole old system and put in another HHD ( transfer his HHD to new system). NOW he is willing to overclock as well and understand it helps the longevity of the system. Not really an upgrade bug- he plays "Mech warriors" and is crashing a lot, wants to stream, etc. So, I don't know if the MOBO , Phenom, RAM or the 290 is not functioning properly or what . I will check it out before he sells to see if I can figure out the issue - or if it just needs tweaking/cleaning, etc.

Yea I tested a 940BE and 955BE playing various games, and MWO was one of them. They ran pretty fine actually not overclocked. Made some overhead after being overclocked. I'd check it out to see what's up.

PP - I like the idea of using the liquid cooling you suggested - but have never installed or even seen one in use. May need some help on it.

It's extremely straight forward.

The MOBO you linked is a micro - is that an oversight? So, I will keep the one I linked for now. NOT sold on that MOBO.

Not an oversight. It's cheap and is just like before with me linking H81 boards for Haswell i5 setups. A Skylake processor won't need to be overclocked and will last longer at stock speeds than the quoted 3 years. That being said anything he'll want to do can be done on the board as it does have an M.2 slot as well. By the time we need to upgrade our CPUs Skylake will be old news. If I didn't have "help" moving to X99 I'd probably keep my 2nd gen Sandy for another 5 years or so. (Although if getting a K might as well get a Z170)

So, now getting down to business:

1) CPU = unlocked Skylake Intel Core i5-6600K 6M Skylake Quad-Core 3.5 GHz LGA 1151 95W BX80662I56600K Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 530 - Newegg.com = $270

Another thing to consider is the ASRock bios thing they're doing to bclk overclock locked chips. I'll have to keep informed as more news comes as the days progress. If they're buying now disregard this.

2) CPU Cooler = CORSAIR Hydro Series H60 (CW-9060007-WW) Water Cooler - Newegg.com - =$60

3) RAM - PNY Anarchy 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2400 (PC4 19200) Desktop Memory Model MD16GK2D4240015AR - Newegg.com = $75

4) PSU - as above = $150

Still think this is an unnecessary large purchase Only really needed if they literally plan to go dual GPU in the near future.

5) MOBO - as above= $110

6) CASE - as above = $100

SO, about $770 without a new GPU. I think the most he will spend is another $300 - 350, which puts him into a 970 I believe.

EVGA GeForce GTX 970 04G-P4-3975-KR 4GB SSC GAMING w/ACX 2.0+, Whisper Silent Cooling Graphics Card - Newegg.com = $350 - figured start here and then more discussion for fine tuning.

total= about $1200 by the time you pay shipping, etc. unless we find some additional discount/combos ,etc.

So- if they sell the other PC for $300- 400 , then he is under $900 out of pocket and it will be ready to do some hard gaming and streaming for several years. The only other upcoming purchase will be an additional monitor(s) so they can have a 2 display setup. Currently using a 1080p 26 inch of mediocre quality. Will they be able to keep his Win7 64bit that is on the HHD currently? They do not want to go to Win10 if possible.

As usual thanks for the help...
I've had success repeating a Windows install for several systems but to be on the safe side I'm going to say probably a negative on the swap. Just make sure he's ready to spend on another copy of Windows if necessary.

I can agree on the 970. Another big pro with Nvidia cards is you can use NVC from programs like OBS to stream and all that hard work is done by the GPU. This negates the need to spend big money on an i7 or more cores. Just make sure they know dual monitor gaming isn't a thing and that it'll only be good for productivity.

"dual monitor gaming - isn't a thing" - please explain.

What case fans would you get to add to the PO) case. also need a few new case fans in general 120mm to fit a older Coolermaster case that my daughter uses.

Dual monitor gaming. Your game will only be on one screen as there's only one program I know that will use 2 monitors and that's Supreme Commander.

If the cash is there Noctua iPPC 2000rpm for many reasons.

For the Enthoo case you'll want at least 2 140s. In mine I have 3, one in the back and 2 in the front. The two stock fans for the Enthoo pro really suck. The 14s blow more air while maintaining silence at lower RPMs.

The PWM has a 3pin slot. I'm running mine all on 3pin from the Enthoo stock fan controller behind the motherboard tray.

Last edited:
Yes PWM fans are 4pin but have a 3pin layout for non PWM interfaces.

4wirefanconn.png

Back
Top Bottom