Pushing the Limits

Thorax_the_Impaler

Minecraft Veteran
Hello everyone.

I am looking to push an X3 720 I bought some time ago a little further than the 3.4GHz I have it running at. Studying information on this chip and overclocking in general; I have concluded I am missing something. I was able to unlock a fourth core and keep it stable after toying with ACC. Currently I have the CPU running at 3.4GHz @ 1.4875v. I understand that unlocked cores typically had whacky voltage tolerances, and that they would hold back a CPU overclock depending on just how twitchy they were. However, even at stock core configurations I could never push this chip higher than 3.5GHz (should add that it was never perfectly stable). Pushing the voltage to 1.55v still couldn't get me into the OS (Windows 8) at 3.6 or above. Temps don't SEEM to be an issue; so what am I not doing that is preventing me from pushing this thing higher?

The motherboard is NOT built for overclocking; and doesn't have the best power delivery. But 3.4GHz still seems just a smidge under what I should be getting. Unless I really have hit the roof of this chip; because that's what I'm about to chalk it up to. Thanks for your help; and if you need any more info, just let me know.

Back
Top Bottom