Upgrading to GTX 970 Mini, need info plz!

Omega Contagion

Solid State Member
Hey guys,

first time poster on here. couple years ago I foolishly purchased a pre built pc from a retailer. I've been looking all over for answers and have seen conflicting reviews so I figure i'd as you guys.

The GTX 970 mini uses a 8 pin power connector. My current PSU only has 1 6-pin available. I've read a bunch about 6 to 8 pin adapters. Some people say they are great, some say they are bad. 6 pin being 75 watt, 8 pin being 150. I'm wondering if the adapter is a good move? even in the short term?

i've also scoured the forums on various sites and they say my MOBO can handle the 970 so that is good. the recommended power for the gtx 970 mini is 400w i think, i have a 460w. Now I am looking for the quickest cheapest upgrade at the moment because I'll be building a new pc in another year or so. Should I use a 6 to 8 pin adapter, or buy a new psu? I've been looking at the modular ones from Corsair. 600 and 850 watt versions.

So should I get a new PSU?
Which PSU would you recommend for my current MOBO?
Are the 6 to 8 pin adapters a bad idea?

My current specs are
i7 3770 3.40 ghz
Pegatron Motherboard model 2AD5
12 gig ddr3 ram
Radeon HD 7570 (boooo)
460w PSU

also here is a link to the product page for my pc.
Thanks for your time guys, really appreciate it.

HP Support document - HP Support Center

I don't see why you shouldn't go for the adapter. It won't slow anything, just as long as it is secure and keeps consistent power to the 970. I think a new PSU would be a pointless expenditure.

The current PSU in your machine being what it is would be rated for peak power, that being said I don't see why it shouldn't handle the ~240W load that a 970 and the 3770 would pull.

As to adapters being safe, I use them all the time. I have to at work due to HP machines being geared for Quadro therefor only having 6pin adapters. I use this exact adapter in 4 machines.
StarTech PCIEX68ADAP 6" PCI Express 6 pin to 8 pin Power Adapter Cable F-M - Newegg.com

Now if you did upgrade the power supply you'd only need a quality 520W unit like a Seasonic M1211. Your machine specs currently actually are really good and you don't really need to upgrade next year. That PSU, good GPU, an SSD, you'd be good to go.

Thanks for ur input guys, saved me some cash! I was looking at some 500w psu and figured that'd be enough too, but if you don't think I need the upgrade then I'll stick with the adapter.

I mentioned the higher watt psu in OP because when I did build a new one I'd just take that power supply.

Another question, I see alot of people rave about Corsair as a brand for psu. Is it really that great in comparison?

Thanks again for ur info regarding the adapters

You wouldn't need a higher wattage PSU if you stick with a good single GPU setup.

For instance, your current CPU is more than enough and will be for quite some time so in reality you won't need to upgrade your base platform for a while. Your current board only supports one GPU anyways and a 520-650W PSU will be enough for any Nvidia GPU.

Corsair is a good brand because they use good OEMs for their units and make sure they don't put subpar materials inside said units. Their CX line is their budget line but is actually very well put together. Seasonic is one of the #1 PSU makers which is why I recommend them so much, with Corsair being after that. For the people over in Europe I like to recommend those as well as Super Flower. eVGA lately has also stepped up their game greatly. Their "B" models like the 500b, 600b, and the newly released 700b also get high praise from Jonnyguru (he does the best PSU reviews and is an expert in the industry, as well as the site Techpowerup). Those B models are budget units like Corsair's CX line. I believe the 700b will be released around the $50 dollar mark USD.

The only reason I don't always recommend the CX line or eVGA B line is because they aren't modular. If you stick with an mATX case you'll want a modular PSU for better cable management. I know Canada has increased pricing lately but if you just stick with what you got and upgraded the parts around your current PC a little at a time I'd start with a GPU like the 970 and work your way up with a new PSU next, then an SSD.

Computer Products, Laptops, Electronics, HDTVs, Digital Cameras, Cellphones and More - Newegg.ca

If you have a smaller budget I'd just get the 970 for now and see how that works out on your current PSU. Normally I'd swing the other way and stress a PSU, but if your budget doesn't permit at least a unit like a Seasonic 520 M1211 then I'd hold off for a bit more on that. Modular really is the way to go.

With 10 dollar promo it's only 10 more than the 500b.
SeaSonic M12II 520 Bronze EVO Edition 520W ATX12V v2.3 / EPS 12V v2.91 SLI 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Full Modular Active PFC Power Supply - Newegg.ca

Hey So I got the 970 and evga 500 b power supply :)

Installed them both, everything works great. But now i've run into an issue with my wi fi, and im not sure if its just a nasty coincidence, or if my new graphics card is playing into it. SO heres the scoop.

Before the upgrade I got decent signal in my building. *i live in the country and the router, modem, and booster are all in the main house. I live in a cabin about 30 feet away. Now with my D link AC3200 modem, and a D link extender I was able to get 4/5 bars wifi signal to my PC in the cabin, and get my full mbps.

Now after I upgraded to my new graphics card, Im not able to read any networks out there. I can connect to it when im set up in the main house perfectly fine. Im on the wifi right now. Its an onboard wifi adapter Ralink RT5390R 802.11bgn. i've got the latest drivers. My graphics card is the Asus GTX 970 mini, got the latest drivers. I have the latest BIOS that I could find from the HP website.

I'm just very confused!! Would my new graphics card have anything to do with the receiving strength of my Wi Fi? Cause like I said, it works perfectly fine in the house. OR By sheer coincidence, my D link extender stopped working properly?

I should add that my xbox one also is having real troubles finding networks, but my cell phone seems to be ok. Samsung Galaxy 5

Back
Top Bottom