Samsung Magician software for SSDs?

GLaDOS

In Runtime
Hi all, Just had a quick question - I have two Samsung SSD 840 EVOs. One for my OS and one for my Flight Simulator X install. The SSD comes with the Samsung Magician software that offers a range of features. I was just wondering if anyone took advantage of these features to optimize their SSDs? I'm looking at the Perfomance Optimization, OS Optimization, Over Provisioning, and RAPID mode features. I wouldn't be totally honest if I said I knew what all those features did. Just wanted to see what others have done. Also, on a related-note: every time I boot my PC and log in, I get a message basically saying Samsung Magician needs Admin rights in order to run and I should relaunch the application with admin rights. For security, I run as a standard user and have a separate Administrator profile when needed. Is there any way to keep Samsung Magician from running on startup? I've read from numerous places that it is not required to startup with Windows, however, it is not listed in the msconfig.exe Startup tab? Thank you for your help. As always, it is greatly appreciated!

Hi all, Just had a quick question - I have two Samsung SSD 840 EVOs. One for my OS and one for my Flight Simulator X install. The SSD comes with the Samsung Magician software that offers a range of features. I was just wondering if anyone took advantage of these features to optimize their SSDs? I'm looking at the Perfomance Optimization, OS Optimization, Over Provisioning, and RAPID mode features. I wouldn't be totally honest if I said I knew what all those features did. Just wanted to see what others have done.
I have it installed on my laptop - bout all I really have it installed for is if there's any firmware updates, it'll notify me of them. Otherwise I've only used it to run a few benchmarks through it.

Also, on a related-note: every time I boot my PC and log in, I get a message basically saying Samsung Magician needs Admin rights in order to run and I should relaunch the application with admin rights. For security, I run as a standard user and have a separate Administrator profile when needed. Is there any way to keep Samsung Magician from running on startup? I've read from numerous places that it is not required to startup with Windows, however, it is not listed in the msconfig.exe Startup tab? Thank you for your help. As always, it is greatly appreciated!

Check your Startup folder if there's a shortcut there:
Current user: %appdata%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup
All users: %programdata%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

Or if it's running as a Service rather than under Startup tabs. You may have to run MSConfig (or Task Manager if on Win8 or Win10) as Admin to see all available running programs.

Thanks carnageX - I didn't see it in my Services or startup folder. I'll log in as Administrator and try the Startup folder again though.

Back
Top Bottom