Managing storage on the Mac

GLaDOS

In Runtime
Hi all, I was hoping for some assistance - my wife has a 5 year old Macbook Pro she got while in college. However the battery only holds a charge of one hour and the machine tends to get very hot on the bottom while being used. I'm thinking of replacing her Macbook Pro with a new Macbook - she doesn't really use all the processing power of a Macbook Pro and mostly uses her laptop to surf the web, read email, and view photos. Occasionally she'll watch iTunes content (movies/TV shows) while traveling. However, I had a few questions before going forward. Storage has been an issue on her current MacPro - mostly being used by iTunes and her photos in iPhoto. I'm thinking of using either OneDrive (I'm looking at getting an Office 365 subscription) or Amazon Cloud (as part of our current Prime membership) to store all of her photos. Are there any recommendations or best practices with doing this? Most of what I've read so far have been guides on how to use cloud-storage to sync files between the machine and the cloud. But I'm thinking of using OneDrive or Amazon Photo as her primary means to store photos (and possibly even iTunes media) and then having a local backup on an external hard drive. I'm thinking this because the SSD space on the Macbooks aren't huge and she's already filled up her 500GB Macbook Pro HDD. Any thoughts? Also, any general thoughts on replacing a 5 year old Macbook Pro with the new Macbook? I don't use Macs myself, so I'm just curious what the "standard" lifetime is for a Macbook Pro and if it really is time to replace it. I apologize for the lengthy post. Just trying to lay out the questions I'm facing right now. I sincerely appreciate any feedback or thoughts that could be offered. Thank you, as always!

Best way to manage storage on a Mac:
Move or delete files
  1. Delete music, movies, podcasts, or other media, especially if it's media that you can stream or download again as needed.
  2. Delete files in your Downloads folder.
  3. If you use the Mail app for your email, choose Mailbox > Erase Junk Mail from the menu bar in Mail.

If you have an old battery, you can simply replace it, it's cheap and doesn't take many time. Replacing at home takes about 10-15 minutes.
If you don't have enough space on the 500MB hard drive, you can replace it with a larger one. Nowadays SSD and NVMe's are also cheap and replacing takesonly about ten minutes,even at homeand if You do it yourself.
You say a Macbook Pro and it's been in good hands all along, then it's perfectly OK for several more years, so replacing the battery and hard drive isn't a bad idea considering the cost of it and the cost of a new Macbook.
If you're not very technician to do it yourself, use some service or workshop, but then it may cost much more then to buy from shop and replacing yourself.

Back
Top Bottom