ASRock B85 Pro4 vs MSI Z97 PC Mate

harveymilk

Solid State Member
Hey everyone,

I just finished my first build. However, I didn't realize it when I ordered it, but I bought a micro ATX motherboard (GIGABYTE GA-B85M-DS3H) by mistake. It's pretty small, and the video card just barely fits, blocking one of the SATA ports. Also, I know it's not a big deal but it didn't have any regular PCI slots (I know they're kind of obsolete but I think it would just be handy to have one, plus my network card is PCI). I've been toying with the idea of sending it back and getting a regular ATX motherboard with a couple PCI slots and a PS/2 slot for both keyboard and mouse (I know they're also kind of obsolete and there are adapters, but I just think they would be handy to have). Here's the 2 I have it narrowed down to:

MSI Z97 PC Mate ($85 w/$10 rebate) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130779
ASRock B85 Pro4 ($70) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157387

I don't want anything fancy, just something inexpensive with what I was looking for. Are either of those motherboards better than the other? Both of the specs looked basically the same. Or do you guys think I should just not even bother with the hassle, and get a new mouse and USB network adapter? By the time I'd ship my current motherboard back and buy the new one, I'd probably be spending an additional $30-40, which isn't too big of a deal. Any thoughts/opinions are appreciated.

Here's my build if it matters:
GPU: PowerColor PCS+ Radeon R9 380
CPU: Intel Core i5-4590 Haswell Quad-Core 3.3 GHz LGA 1150
Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-B85M-DS3H-A LGA 1150 Intel B85 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
PSU: CORSAIR CX series CX600 600W ATX12V v2.3
Optical Drive: ASUS 24X DVD Burner
Hard drive: WD Blue 1TB Desktop Hard Disk Drive
Case: Corsair Carbide Series 500R Black Steel

Last edited:
Are you using a PCI wireless adapter?

Yeah I have a Linksys Wireless-N PCI adapter. My computer isn't close enough to plug in with an ethernet cable, so I'd either get a new motherboard (which I wouldn't mind because I'd have some pci slots/more room for my video card/both PS/2 ports), or just go ahead and buy a usb wireless adapter. Just not really sure what I want to do yet, and I wasn't sure if there were any differences between a micro-ATX and regular ATX motherboard performance wise.

Form factor doesn't affect performance, only the size. You can do one of a couple things. Send the board back and get the MSI Z97, get a USB wireless adapter, or get a PCI-E wireless adapter. It'd all cost about the same in the end.
Here's a card for 30 bucks.
TP-LINK TL-WDN3800 PCI Express x1 N600 Wireless Dual Band Adapter - Newegg.com

Ok thanks, I'll probably just get a new motherboard as I think it will pay off more in the long run. But you think I should go for the MSI over the ASRock?

Also hate to bump, but I had another question regarding the system fans. My case has 5 total fans (Corsair Carbide Series 500R Black Steel - 1x 200mm side panel fan, 2x front-mounted 120mm fans, 1x rear 120mm fan, and 1 extra 120mm fan the case came with). Will I be able to install all of these on the MSI? The MSI says it has 2 x 4-pin CPU fan connectors, 1 x 4-pin system fan connector, and 2 x 3-pin system fan connectors. That's obviously 5, but I wasn't sure if that includes the CPU heatsink fan, or if that is separate?

I would say the system fan is for the CPU but you could also get a fan controller if you want to be able to control the speed of them or on the cheap they do sell fan adapters that plug into the molex connectors, have a few myself, my case actually has places for 7 fans if I wanted lol or 5 and a radiator but water cooling has become something of a novelty for most due to the lower heat created with the newer CPU's none the less if you have more fans than MB connectors there are options for you.

Also hate to bump, but I had another question regarding the system fans. My case has 5 total fans (Corsair Carbide Series 500R Black Steel - 1x 200mm side panel fan, 2x front-mounted 120mm fans, 1x rear 120mm fan, and 1 extra 120mm fan the case came with). Will I be able to install all of these on the MSI? The MSI says it has 2 x 4-pin CPU fan connectors, 1 x 4-pin system fan connector, and 2 x 3-pin system fan connectors. That's obviously 5, but I wasn't sure if that includes the CPU heatsink fan, or if that is separate?
Yes because the Z97 chipset is better..

I'd forgo the 200mm fan.

Back
Top Bottom