hyper

XWrench3

Daemon Poster
so i want to give my son another stick of memory for his computer. since i helped him build it, i know exactly what is in it. but what i do not know is if there is any difference (functionally) between memory modules, as long as they have the same specifications. he now has a Kingston Hyper-X 8gb module in it. but there are other brands that are less expensive. some half as much. i am still paying off the bill for the first computer build, and he is not my only child. so if i can save a few bucks, i would like to. but if he will loose speed (or not gain as much) i will not waste the money buying something less expensive. p.s. he is a gamer. so to him, speed is everything. me, not so much.

hmmmm, that is interesting. that must be why there is "x" gb of memory made into the graphics board itself. maybe i would be better off buying him a small ssd rather than another 8gb of memory.

hmmmm, that is interesting. that must be why there is "x" gb of memory made into the graphics board itself. maybe i would be better off buying him a small ssd rather than another 8gb of memory.
No, GPUs have dedicated memory for fast access to texture memory as VRAM is quite a bit faster than system RAM with a lot less latency. There isn't much of a need for 16GB of system RAM, but it wouldn't hurt.

I'll tell you how much of a waste 16gigs really is. I put a 4x4 16gig memory setup in my last build. At most the majority of my software uses 6 gigs. My cad/cam software only uses 4 gigs. My Arduino software uses at most 3 gigs.
The only thing that used a large amount of ram was a very high end rather sophisticated video editor. I think it was 10 or 12 gigs. but what they wanted for it, was way out of my budget.

Any way if he's having issues with playing games, adding ram is really a waste. Do an over all system check and see what, if any, is causing the problem. It sometimes is as simple as updating the motherboard drivers or the graphics card drivers. Check the CPU and card cooling. Over heating can cause the self defense firmware in the respective chips to kick in and throttle back.
The devil's in the details.

he is not having any real problems. he is like his dad in one way though, we both have a need for speed. the big difference is mine is (maybe i should say WAS) in MPH. not GHZ. i still like fast, but the "need" has waned somewhat since turning 50. he has a one track mind. if he does not have a computer in his hands, he is eating or sleeping. he has complained a little about how long it takes for his computer to start up from off. but it is still 2 times as fast as my laptop, and probably at least 10 times as fast as my ancient desktop. i guess i really do not know what else to buy him except something for his computer.

i do not know if his case has a vertial ssd mount in it. its a Rosewill Thor. will it matter if the ssd is mounted horizontally?

Back
Top Bottom