upgrade advice

Sawbonz

Solid State Member
I need to get a new monitor and was reading about the Gsync from NVIDIA. Current video card not supported for GSync. So then started looking about general system upgrade.

So current system is
MB: Asus Sabertooth x79
CPU: Intel I7-3820@3.60GHz
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580
Mem: 16GB DDR3

I use the computer for gaming and some photo work as well as the usual internet/email etc.
I am considering a 27 to 30 inch monitor. Like to use the best settings for gaming. I can afford top of the line, but don't really want to unnecessarily spend if it won't improve performance.

So is GSync any good? If so should i just upgrade the video card and to what? Would upgrading the CPU make a difference? From the Asus site it appears that the top CPU upgrade for that board is Core I7-4960x, though I read performance is close to that one with I7-4930 at 1/2 the price.

Look at sig, upgrading your CPU isn't necessary. Maybe a slight overclock if anything.

How to put this.....Gsync is very good albeit in the situations that would require it. If you don't know how Gsync works it's this. It actively changes the refresh rate of the monitor to your FPS in the range of 30 to 144. This eliminates screen tearing (which Vsync does), but not capped to 30, 60, 120, or 144. With Vsync let's say you have a 60hz monitor. If you go above you get input lag because it holds the frame rate back, if it goes under you get stuttering. Gsync negates the need for a solid lock this so it's butter smooth.

But, it has some drawbacks as well. Firstly, Gsync monitors cost a ton, generally 200 bucks over the same model without Gsync because it requires a module inside the monitor to work. Second, you have to fiddle with Vsync settings in game (on or off) to figure out which is needed for Gsync to properly work. Third, if you play an older game and have a good rig that exceeds the top refresh rate of your screen you'll still have the same issues as before and won't get the benefits of Gsync. Fourth, it messes with productivity programs like Photoshop, Premiere, and Vegas Pro meaning you need to manually turn it off in the NVCP when working with these then turn it back on when playing a game. This is a pain in the *** to people who don't have a lot of time like myself. I previously owned an ROG Swift and sold it because Gsync just isn't mature enough for me.

As to video card, if you want to use the best settings for modern games you're looking at a good deal of cash if you want to use higher than 1080p. When I had SLI 980s it wasn't quite enough to properly push the Swift which is a 1440p monitor and take advantage of the high refresh rates. The new ROG Swift is a 165Hz monitor @ 1440p so that'll take a good chunk of change in the GPU department to push it. Just let me know what you want to do and we'll go from there.

What do you think of the ASUS STRIX-GTX980TI-DC3OC-6GD5-GAMING card? Do you think there is any difference in brands as far as GTX 980 ti cards?

Back
Top Bottom