Blue Screen trouble

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jinx083464

Solid State Member
I just built myself a new computer, and 2 days after its up and going, I start getting the blue screen critical error while playing my games. What I would like to know is how to find out specifically what the problem is, weather it be some software or hardware problem that can be fixed.

I'll rundown some information so that it may be easier to diagnose my computer... maybe.

cpu: AMD 3500+
mobo: MSI K8T Neo2
ram: 2x 512mb pc3200 (ddr400) kingston
gpu: ATI x800 xt (agp)
sound: Audgity 2 6.1
as well as 40gig HD, 120gig HD, 1.44 floppy, cd-rw and dvd drive.

My cpu is running at about 40 degrees right after bluescreen according to bios (wich is a fine temp as far as i know) so i dont think my cpu is overheating. I considered that my videocard may be overheating because it only seems to bluescreen during graphically intensive games. I had all updated drivers for bios, mobo, gpu. windows updated fully, including service pack 2. My first thought was the videocard was the problem, and at somone elses suggestion i tried different drivers from omega for the x800. The problem was still there so i took out my videocard and poped in my old geforce fx 5600, that is after i removed all the video drivers. After the my old fx 5600 was in i got the latest driver. I didnt know weather to be happy or not, but either way the problem was still there, so my x800 was not the cause to the bluescreen'ing as far as i know. I now have my x800 back in and I kept the omega drivers for it.
Is there a way of monitoring my system to find out what goes wrong to make the system crash/bluescreen? Maybe a way to decode all that jibberish that the blue screen displays.

Esent is the error description according to even viewer, but gives no more detail about it. From the times on the logs, each time i blue screen, i seem to have one of these esent errors in the log.
In all my searching i found that the minidump files are a copy of the data displayed during the bluescreen, what program do I use to open these .dmp files? If i can find the data in that, from what i understand there should be a hex code that i can look up somwhere at microsofts site, wich will give me a discription of the problem

while searching for a solution, i decided to put my origonal bios driver back on (when i dl'ed the newest one for my mobo, it made me make a backup), so after i use the backup and put my origonal driver on my bios, my bios stops detecting my cd and dvd drive. I restart twice thinking it may need to redected them or somthing, doesnt work. I unplug them, start up, shut down, and plug them back in to check, still not detecting them. So i swap the ide cables around 1 line from my 2 hd's and 1 for my dvd and cd drives, i swap what plug they go into the mobo. Now bios still only detects the hd's even though they are plugged in the other slot. I dont know what went wrong, but now i have gone back to the msi site and put the latest driver back on, hopeing to solve the problem, now i have the newest one, but its still not detecting my dvd and cd drives that are plugged in.

Try to reset your bios to default.Also try hardware manager and remove the cdrom and dvd rom out of there and then reboot it might reconize them again.

If you cant figure it out start from scratch.Take everything back out and reseat all your cards and ram ,drives and all.Sometimes things seem to snowball and for me thats what I have to do.

I took your advice and stripped everything out. Upon reasembly i also added some thermal paste to the cpu heatsink. The amd 64's heatsink dont come with thermal paste, but instead have this solid film already attached to the bottom of the heatsink, wich heatsup and turns into the paste, well while i put it togethe the first time i didnt see the patch, and got my fingers all over it, so i purchased and applied some thermal paste to ensure its not my cpu overheating (despite my bois saying its not). Everyting got plugged in right except for the case power led, wich was in backwards, and easily fixed by turning it around. Everything works now, except my usb slots, all 8 of them. They didnt work before either, but i didnt find that out until after I had posted. I am at work now so i cant check, it occured to me that i may need to enable them in bios, because widows doesnt seem to detect them. Any ideas on this USB issue?

All is fine now, no more blue screens, all ide drives detected and working, as well as the usb issue. Thanks for all the advice and links.

Windows ME is basically nothing more than windows 98 sp4 ;) and yes you can get them on XP... although to actually get stuck on a stop error in windows XP takes some work... typically you have to go looking for the info...
but yes, it is possible... and lets not forget the old days of NT!!! blue screens of death well... if you have reason to remember, you won't soon forget

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom