Prebuilt - Best for 650$

iParanormalx

The strange one
One of my friends has been shopping for a prebuilt (he doesn't want to assemble and no one he knows wants to either.) He's mainly going to hook it up to his TV and use it as a Home Theater PC. Netflix, watching DVDs, (maybe upgrade to bluray), editing his and his wifes photos and just every-day use. He doesn't think he will use it for gaming and tbh they're both not really into gaming so I wouldnt look toward anything heavy on video processing. I told him how I have a wireless kb/m in my living room and he really liked the idea of a recliner/bigscreen PC experience. I did however recommend that he get a dedicated GPU because I believe it will improve overall visual fidelity. He's wanting to keep it at or under 650 - so I wanted to see what other products you all maybe had seen or recommend.

I saw this one which is pretty good for 600$
iBUYPOWER Desktop PC SOURCE SERIES NE641FX AMD FX-Series FX-8320 (3.50 GHz) 8 GB DDR3 1 TB HDD NVIDIA GeForce GTX 950 2 GB Windows 10 Home 64-Bit - Newegg.com

Would recommend piecing together a system on NCIXUS, and taking advantage of their build option - meaning they'll build it for you for an added fee from whatever parts you pick from them.

If your friend lives in the US or Canada the parts can be purchased from NCIX and they will assemble it for a 50 dollar fee and ship the machine with the boxes for warranty purposes after testing it for stability. If you live in either of these countries there's 100% 0 reason to buy a pre-built.

If that's still a no go, the PC linked is pretty puke inducing for the money and the usage.
The 950 is basically a huge waste since it's a gaming GPU and won't help with anything that something a GT 930 or 740 would do. For instance, due to the i5 and the user wanting to photo edit the i5 in this prebuilt would be better.

In terms of pre-built though, this is probably the best option. It has a Skylake i5 and comes with an empty PCI-E slot for a dedicated GPU if/when needed for 4k later. A low end Maxwell chip for 50 bucks or less will easily run on the PSU in the box. Also comes with wifi and an M.2 slot for an SSD later.

Holy crud that HP does look good, amazing specs too for a prebuilt for its price point.
The only weakspot is probably going to be the PSU, but considering the integrated GPU it would do many a good job even if getting a better GPU is not in the cards.

Last edited:
Yea I was quite surprised when I clicked on it and saw a Skylake i5 sitting in it. THe IGP in Skylake is rather decent so I don't think a dedicated GPU will be necessary for a while but the 180w PSU in it will push something like a GT 740 (or whatever later) in it easily.

Back
Top Bottom