Computer won't see my new SSD

Thanks PP. But when I checked in regedit both the start values for pciide and storahci (which is now the MSahci after Goolking after I found I had noooo Msahci!) were both already set to 0 zero.

Tried again anyway, booting up and changing to AHCI in BIOS.
- With just the SSD connected I got the black screen of death again just after the BIOS version screen. It said Reboot amd select proper boot device or insert boot media and press any key.
- With the HDD it said 'inaccessible boot drive'.
I tried my Win 10 rescue disk above with the SSD and HDD and the options there (eg. autofix, re-install windows) but no luck.

Looked like this before I switched back to IDE:
datetaken

So am now back to HDD on IDE again.

Should I just give up and go for a new Windows install on the SSD from scratch? I was hping to avoid this because I ahve Win 7 upgraded to Win 10 and all the SP1 downlooads for Win 7 will take ages.

Incidentally, my external backup disk got skewed during the fiddling above and said needed formatting. I have found a recovery program for the images and content which I'm running now. Have got most of it online already but fingers crossed.
Note to self - disconnect external drives when fiddling about. Just in case...!

Thanks PP. But when I checked in regedit both the start values for pciide and storahci (which is now the MSahci after Goolking after I found I had noooo Msahci!) were both already set to 0 zero.

Tried again anyway, booting up and changing to AHCI in BIOS.
- With just the SSD connected I got the black screen of death again just after the BIOS version screen. It said Reboot amd select proper boot device or insert boot media and press any key.
- With the HDD it said 'inaccessible boot drive'.
I tried my Win 10 rescue disk above with the SSD and HDD and the options there (eg. autofix, re-install windows) but no luck.

Looked like this before I switched back to IDE:
datetaken

So am now back to HDD on IDE again.

Should I just give up and go for a new Windows install on the SSD from scratch? I was hping to avoid this because I ahve Win 7 upgraded to Win 10 and all the SP1 downlooads for Win 7 will take ages.

Incidentally, my external backup disk got skewed during the fiddling above and said needed formatting. I have found a recovery program for the images and content which I'm running now. Have got most of it online already but fingers crossed.
Note to self - disconnect external drives when fiddling about. Just in case...!

To many "work arounds" happening, do a fresh install on SSD.

When you start doing work around after work around on a new SSD/ HDD, its a sign you need to call it quits and start from scratch.. :cool:

Not at all, the only work around is getting it to go from IDE to AHCI. Clone drive, switch to AHCI and call it a day. Windows 10 is obviously different than 8.1 and previous Windows versions in how to change this. All the rest was his own doing which was unncessary.

Not at all, the only work around is getting it to go from IDE to AHCI. Clone drive, switch to AHCI and call it a day. Windows 10 is obviously different than 8.1 and previous Windows versions in how to change this. All the rest was his own doing which was unncessary.

That^ hasn't worked (and im talking about all the other workarounds he has done too) and he has reverted back to IDE and booted back in with the HDD.. He is back to the start, which is why he said weather he should just wipe it and start from scratch..

Which is why I said, to many work arounds, wipe and start from scratch...
:cool:

Last edited:
Him doing a lot of things is on his own accord. Changing IDE to AHCI is different on Windows 10 which I didn't know, so if I did technically it would have been one thing and he was done. Having him do the normal switch was my bad and not really a part of the process. There's no sense in doing a full install if it's not needed. If the above Windows 10 solution doesn't work then that warrants a fresh install.

Him doing a lot of things is on his own accord. Changing IDE to AHCI is different on Windows 10 which I didn't know, so if I did technically it would have been one thing and he was done. Having him do the normal switch was my bad and not really a part of the process. There's no sense in doing a full install if it's not needed. If the above Windows 10 solution doesn't work then that warrants a fresh install.

Im not saying to not follow your 1 step solution (which can normally be done in bios before/ after SSD install), he said it has changed to AHCI and still not working.

So I said start fresh, and change it from the start after you initiate it...

I dont think that solution you gave now will work after all the work arounds thats been tried as it should be a simple thing to install SSD but so many other things were tried.. so he needs to wipe it and change it from start..

I think you didnt understand what I was saying! :cool:

Im not saying to not follow your 1 step solution (which can normally be done in bios before/ after SSD install), he said it has changed to AHCI and still not working.
Because you have to do more than just switch the BIOS setting. On install, Win8 and below disabled AHCI drivers if they weren't used. Hence the reason of going into registry to re-enable said drivers. But it's apparently changed with Win10, and doesn't require a registry edit, according to the posted solution.

So I said start fresh, and change it from the start after you initiate it...

I dont think that solution you gave now will work after all the work arounds thats been tried as it should be a simple thing to install SSD but so many other things were tried.. so he needs to wipe it and change it from start..

I think you didnt understand what I was saying! :cool:
You didn't understand what I said, see post above me.

Because you have to do more than just switch the BIOS setting. On install, Win8 and below disabled AHCI drivers if they weren't used. Hence the reason of going into registry to re-enable said drivers. But it's apparently changed with Win10, and doesn't require a registry edit, according to the posted solution.

Yeah we never needed to touch reg in Win10.. so the change in bios should do the trick..

Back
Top Bottom