Need advice for purchasing a new computer..

Status
Not open for further replies.

sweetness

Beta member
Okay, so here's the deal. My Christmas gift from my parents is going to be a new computer, since the one I'm currently using is dying a slow death. Now, I'm not necessarily a total computer dunce, but I don't know much - especially regarding the type of computer I should be getting and the components that come with it. I was looking at Best Buy ads and saw this:

AMD Athlon XP Processor 3000+ with 17" flat screen monitor and color printer.
512MB DDR RAM memory
160 GB hard drive
DVD/CD-RW combo drive
9-in-1 media reader
2.1 GHz (This is what I'm mainly confused about. Intels are way higher.)

It comes to $589.97 with rebates.

I'm not looking for anything too fancy... just something that will last a while and perform pretty well. Basically, I'll just be surfing the internet, listening to music, downloading songs and videos, burning CDs, and maybe play the occasional Sims 2. Would this PC be suitable for me? If anyone has any comments or suggestions, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

sweetness said:
Now, I'm not necessarily a total computer dunce, but I don't know much - especially regarding the type of computer I should be getting and the components that come with it.

I'm not looking for anything too fancy... just something that will last a while and perform pretty well. Basically, I'll just be surfing the internet, listening to music, downloading songs and videos, burning CDs, and maybe play the occasional Sims 2.
Thanks!

i dont think he needs or wants to build his own :)

didnt see that part. if he's just Surfing the interenet, listening to music,downloading songs and videos,burning CD's and mayb playing a game or two that System would be awsome. just get a cheap video card and you will be set.

Intels way of measuring speed is different from AMD's way of measuring speed. An AMD Athlon 3000+ xp @ 2.1ghz would be the same as a an equal Intel running at 3.0ghz. Do you get what I am saying? Anyways that sounds like a pretty good deal but I always feel it is best to build you own computer.

Great, thanks for the replies everyone!

I don't think I'd want to build my own - probably too much time and money to spend for what I'll actually be doing on the computer.

Thanks for the explanation on the differences in GHz between Intels and AMD. Makes sense now!

Sorry to sound like a complete idiot, but does a video card just enhance the performance of videos and games?

BTW - I'm a she. :)

oh hehe sry :) building your own is usually cheaper or equivalent and usually runs better but it does take some time to build, and a video card generates the picture you see on your monitor so no, it doesn't enhance it, for you to see anything, you need a video card, and it looks like that system comes with an onboard one, but ya, i'd just beg them for a little more to get the above video card :)

also, if you plan on upgrading building your own is better, as sometimes Dells or HPs are wired so you have to buy new parts from them or else the thing will fry, and usually when you get the pc it comes loaded with a bunch of junk from the company

Okay, I see. I'm looking online at the features and found this link:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...40207&productCategoryId=cat15172&type=product

It says - Video Memory 64MB (dedicated)

Is that the crappy one?

Do you think that this would be a better option? This includes a DVD burner, which the other does not. Also Athlon XP 3200+ and it looks like it may have a better sound/graphics program?
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...31155&productCategoryId=cat15172&type=product

Sorry for all the questions. I just want to make sure I get the best option in my price range.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom