Router prices...

Fat.Clown

I don't overclock
Anyone else feel like router prices are getting out of control? The newest flagship from Netgear (Nighthawk X8 R8500) is $399.99.
just a couple years ago ~$200 would let you buy the top-of-the-line flagship device. (Netgear Centria 4700, R6300, Asus AC-66u, Linksys EA6500)

Yea, this is why I decided to go with prosumer devices instead. No point in spending so much money for an AIO when for similar money you can go enterprise class gear.

I use TP-Link products. Currently I'm using the N750 dual band router with USB support. You can connect a USB printer and share it with those on the network. Or use a USB external drive to share files. It can run 2.4 and 5 Ghz at the same time along with 4 gigabit LAN ports.
It has a lot of features like parental control and MAC blocking that are simple to set up.

It's available from Newegg at a relatively inexpensive price. TP-LINK N750 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Router TL-WDR4300 - Newegg.com

TP-Link has a worldwide customer base. They have a solid reputation for making powerful products that are easy to use and are easy on your wallet. I've been using their products for years. Right now my N750 has been running 24/7 for almost a year with no reset or cold start.

Eh, N750 is not a lot of bandwidth to go around. We're talking top of the line stuff here. He's complaining about how router prices are getting out of hand which is why I brought up prosumer devices.

I found a netgear nighthawk R7000 for $100 on craigslist so i bought that. no longer top of the line like the R8500, but close enough. I use a Netgear ProSafe GS108 switch for myself but everyone else in the house on wireless... cuz f those guys. I am spending all the money.

USB on routers don't cut it for me because I am spoiled. USB on routers top out at like what? 40Mbps for read and 30 for writes? My NAS does 80-90 both read and writes :p

USB3 is severely hampered by lack of good controllers and processing power on AIO routers.

My FiOS gateway was getting real bogged down by all the traffic in my house. As soon as I ditched all traffic off of it it's been fine.

I will stick to PFSense and commercial grade AP's for my network, and generic gigabit or 10gbit (once available cheaply) for my switches.

Back
Top Bottom