Monitor Upgrade.

Type of panel.

Also not as good as the Acer.

That is a preference and mostly determined by the monitors application and by user sensibility. (they might get nauseous by the smoothness of higher refresh rates)

TN panels have better response times. Good for professional or competitive gaming but have poor color and poor viewing angles. Because they're faster most high refresh rate panels are TN panels. Such as the Asus VG series or the BenQ XL and RL series.

IPS have real-to-life color gamuts but poor response times. Good for the graphics designer, video editor or anyone into multimedia or web design.

While it is possible to find IPS panels that are high refresh, low response, and real-to-life colors but they get very costly. Example -IPS 4ms response, 144hz, 27" ~650$ o.o ... I can only drool lol

Average users can get away with ~6ms response time without feeling the delay. But if you play competitive and you have a very honed sense for these things you will want to get a faster panel.

I can speak from the experience of feeling it. I have over 2500 hours in CS:GO, currently an LEM, and about 1k of those hours were on a 6ms/60hz panel.. the other 1.5k hours were on the Asus VG series panel and WOW.. the 144hz at 1ms response is phenominal. At lans people drool over it when I let them try it out and when I try theirs - I cant stand it.

Last edited:
The Acer panel is 6ms 60hz and IPS. The panels in question were all 6ms or lower and 60hz but the kicker is the Acer has DP. He has a single 970 which has DVI, HDMI, and 2 DP. As convenient as adapters are they can be a pain and an eyesore in the back of a PC. Plus, as much as I dislike lower end Acer monitors for their quality, AOC is a cheaper brand than even Acer. He's on a budget and I'm going to assume a casual gamer. He won't notice the difference between 1ms and 6ms.

The biggest difference you're going to notice is 144 to 60, not the response time. Even if you're a twitch gamer. I owned an ROG Swift and went to a 60hz 4k display. What I miss is the 144hz but as a casual gamer it's not that big of a deal. I just stopped playing BF4. What I enjoy more is better blacks and no backlight bleed compared to the TN panel as in darker games that I play like Stalker or Metro it makes a difference.

But does he have 3 DVI outputs on his system??? Might be a little tough to connect all 3 with such limited connections.

Back
Top Bottom