AMD is in the soup, again.

Article said:
AMD's multi-core Bulldozer chips use a unique design that combines the functions of what would normally be two discrete cores into a single package, which the company calls a module. Each module is identified as two separate cores in Windows, but the cores share a single floating point unit and instruction and execution resources. This is different from Intel's cores, which feature independent FPUs.

The suit claims that Bulldozer's design means its cores cannot work independently, and as a result, cannot perform eight instructions simultaneously and independently. This, the claim continues, results in performance degradation, and average consumers in the market for a CPU lack the technical expertise to understand the design of AMD's processors and trust the company to give accurate specifications regarding its CPUs.

*looks at signature*

iu

^ actual picture of the AMD fanboy inside me dying a little

Last edited:
I've been saying it forever now, and even put this in my long article stickied ironically to the top of this sub-forum. Windows actually identifies them as 8 logical processors and 4 cores, because that's exactly what they are. They are not full cores, otherwise AMD could shut them down individually and wouldn't need Microsoft to prepare a different scheduler just to help the gimped cores out (because BD/PD/SR all use an out of phase scheduler due to execution from the FPU as split threads need to be executed on the same module or else the pipeline is too long and it has to start over).

I've been saying it forever now, and even put this in my long article stickied ironically to the top of this sub-forum.

Nice article too!

Boy is my face red......

Windows actually identifies them as 8 logical processors and 4 cores, because that's exactly what they are. They are not full cores, otherwise AMD could shut them down individually and wouldn't need Microsoft to prepare a different scheduler just to help the gimped cores out (because BD/PD/SR all use an out of phase scheduler due to execution from the FPU as split threads need to be executed on the same module or else the pipeline is too long and it has to start over).

I've been an AMD fanboy since ... 2001 when I got my first Athlon Thunderbird (even had the axia stepping for those who know why that's special). What a load of crap for a company, and especially a company you've supported so long to use deceitful sales tactics. Looks like I'll be putting my name in that hat and using the money towards an Intel chip :annoyed:

AMD should have never done bulldozer really, no more high powered CPU's for under Intels asking price.
Maybe they should do GPU's only, AMD GPU's are getting better... sure not as good a NVIDIA but if they devote resources they could still save themselves

Nice article too!

Boy is my face red......

I've been an AMD fanboy since ... 2001 when I got my first Athlon Thunderbird (even had the axia stepping for those who know why that's special). What a load of crap for a company, and especially a company you've supported so long to use deceitful sales tactics. Looks like I'll be putting my name in that hat and using the money towards an Intel chip :annoyed:
Well to be fair when they came out they were still decent chips and still perform fine even now, but require a lot more power and core clock speed. I personally don't think they were after deceitful sales tactics, but I just think their "real men use real cores" campaign back in the day makes them look like total tools. They were fully hoping for the market to go to offloading to the GPU quicker than it has gone. Zen next year is going back to a monolithic core design. I just don't think it'll be close to Intel.

AMD should have never done bulldozer really, no more high powered CPU's for under Intels asking price.
Maybe they should do GPU's only, AMD GPU's are getting better... sure not as good a NVIDIA but if they devote resources they could still save themselves
Their idea was good, but execution fell flat on it's face, for the reasoning above. AMD has already offloaded their GPU department and I believe are concentrating on CPUs only. I believe Zen will be pretty decent but still playing catchup to Intel.

Back
Top Bottom