X51 GPU upgrade

x51pro

Beta member
Hey guys ,

I got a x51 recently, which comes with the ATI R9 370 ( the 4gig OEM model), but am looking to replace it with a better card. Really the one I want to switch it with is a GTX 970, but it's a much more powerful GPU and I am still a bit worried about doing it since the power supply is 330 W. (and also the length of the card has to be max 9.5" , but I think some 970 models allow that.)
As far as I've read on forums some people have done it successfully.

So my question is have any of you guys had experience with this, or if you can verify if it's possible? Will provide full specs if needed.

It's an i7-4790. As I said my main concern is the power supply. Also some people have said the motherboard may not be able to handle it. You're saying it will work with a certain 970 model?

I was asking if it was Intel because it won't pull more than 100W. A 970 will work fine on it.

What about the amps? From the GPU specs I gather the 370 requires 17 amps, whereas the 970 needs 28.

On a sidenote there is a double PSU mod done by some people on the m18x, and the say it can work on the X51 too. Any thoughts on that?

The wattage pulled from the PSU on the two barely vary. Guru3D states a 143W draw from the 370 and the 970 from TPU has an absolute max of 169 with a reference card. Guru3D states a 168W draw from the ITX version of the 970 but I have a feeling that's over estimated because it only has a single 8pin. If you got the ITX version and combined that with an average of 70W from the CPU that's an average of 239W.

Are you sure that the PSU is 300W? Because I've seen 240 and 330 in certain configs. The R2 definitely has a 330W PSU which is enough.

It's definetely a R2 with a 330 W psu. I found a few 9.5 " models and they seem to perform well. Problem is, the smaller cards produce a bunch of heat a consume more. But i guess it's down to the design and manufacturer.

Anyway, thanks for the info. A lot of people on other forums said it couldnt be done, but you've gotten my hopes up! I'll probably test it out with an amp meter first and then install the new card. :)

They don't consume more power, they just have smaller surface area to dissipate heat. You should go with the Gigabyte ITX 970 as it's less than 9" long but not so small where it has a tiny heatsink like the Asus.

Back
Top Bottom