Add or upgrade RAM?

acerinpa

Fully Optimized
OK. I have been hearing that the newest games are "requiring" 16 GB of RAM. Not sure if that is true or not. But, I need help in deciding and I figured it may make a good discussion topic.

Current system = i5 SandyBridge 2500K and a Z77 Asrock extreme 4 MOBO

Current Ram is : 2 x 4 GB 1600 Gskill Ripjaw, Timing 9-9-9-24, Cas Latency 9
Voltage 1.5V

So:
a) Will additional RAM be necessary to run Fallout4 at high 1080p ?

IF I is answered "YES" , Then :

Should I just get 2 more (2 x 4 GB) sticks of the same type ( 1.5 v , same latency) of RAM so I total 16 GB?

or get better/faster RAM and get 2 new (2 x 8GB) sticks to total 16 GB?

Example of new ( not faster) - but the low profiel maybe necessary due to cooler. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...0231558&cm_re=ram_ddr3-_-20-231-558-_-Product

Thanks for your help in advance...

Last edited:
I'm not sure that Fallout4 will *require* 16GB, but as far as the upgrade goes...

I'd just get an extra 2x4GB sticks and call it a day. Unless you upped the cpu/mobo as well, there'd be not much point/gain with getting 1800 or 2100mhz ram. Spend $35 instead of $65 and just get the 2x4GB addition. And yes, match the voltage (avoid DDR3L labelled stick) and 1600Mhz

edit: I have no idea as to the reputability of this brand, but spec-wise they're fine for you and only $32: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820101078

Last edited:
Klevv makes amazing RAM. I almost bought some for my rig because I think them as Dominator killers.

You don't need 16GB for any damn game. I said it for the last one that said 16GB required, I bet it doesn't even go over the 3.5GB 32bit limit.

ya - I kinda figured YOU would say that I don't need extra Ram PP. But I figured it cant hurt. Do you think the Klevv RAM linked by Soulphire will "play nice" with the current RAM that I have. I know there is no "for sures" regarding the mixing of RAM.

I've never had any issues mixing DDR3 of any speeds or sizes.

It won't hurt of course, but kind of a waste of money. Least it's only 30 bucks.

ok very good- is there any such thing as RAM getting old and now wont work well? is there any differences in 2 x 8 =16GB vs 4 x 4 = 16GB?

LOl- well you don't think I need to upgrade at all - so I think the $33 upgrade fits well. If somewhere down the road I need more Ram- then it will be at a time when I really need more than that upgraded.

I have 16gigs on my desk rig. I got it when I was building it just for ****s and giggles. It's a matched set of Vengeance from Corsair. Didn't cost all that much.
You're going to be better off with a good vid card rather than more ram.

NO doubt- but the card I have is a R290 and I don't see me putting out $300 plus to get a better card. I figure I will be putting together a completely new rig in a year or so. At that time I will "do it right" with all components - probably DDR4 at that time.

I ordered the RAM linked above - I could not find a better deal anywhere else. Thanks Soulphire.

Back
Top Bottom