can a new harddrive increase heat 10c?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lokivn

Baseband Member
I bought a new 80gig hard drive tonight to replace the old 40gig... my system temp is now up 10 degrees to 58c! Where's the heat coming from??

I guess its *possible* but highly unlikey. What kind of hard drive is it ( make and RPM's )

na it cant be possible, even when buying 10,000RPM drive i write to WD's technical support as if I Require hard drive cooler.
to that they said, absolutely NOT. and I have even touched my hard drives while running, less than warm temperature. so how come it can increase 10C?

one possibility could be, that there is no other hole(s) for ventilation in your casing, and you have a fan right in front of hard drives, where the air is entering the casing passing through hard drives making it warmer.

but still 3-4 C could have been increased, not 10C

Maxtor 80gb 7200 rpm. all i did was put it in and reclose the case. now 59c :(

my computer does one impossible thing after another AND I STILL CAN'T FIGURE OUT WHY IT FREEZES. I think I'm going to just smash it and go live in a cave.

i took the processor out and reseated it making sure the paste wasn't too much and stuff... still the same. no clue why it's hotter. ugh.

Is the 59c the case temperature or the CPU temperature ?

If its the case temperature make sure all your case fans are working ( how many do you have )

If its the CPU temperature make sure the heatsink is sitting properly on the CPU and that the CPU fan is working.

Also what size case is it ( tower, full tower etc )

it's cpu temperature. all fans are working, 1 in front pulling air in, 2 in the back blowing it out (one above power supply, other right by cpu and below power supply)

my case is a server tower. i just took off the fan to make sure it was on correctly and it was.... still at 60, and this is only after the new HD went in. (old is still in there but deactivated)

take the HD out and see if the temps go down 10C...I suppose if they go down then its the HD which might indicate it's a bad hard drive overheating? I don't know never really heard of a case like that but I'm just speculating. If the temps don't go down then for whatever reason something got adjusted in the computer and it's not the HD causing the heat issue

dear god it can't be a bad drive i just bought it tonight. :( you have to understand i've been dealing with 3 weeks of every possible thing in my computer going wrong, or rather i can't pin down what's wrong because replacing every single part has done nothing.

in early installation i know i knocked a capacitor (i think that's what the little silos are?) a bit askew putting on a fan but just pushed it back upright and figured it was fine. why i forgot that for this whole time i don't know, but i wonder if that's it.... i have to have missed something since everything is new. :(

well unfortunately it's the luck of the draw. It doesn't matter when you get it, it could be dead long before it gets to you. Obviously it's not dead right now because it's working, but it's getting way hotter than it should which I'm saying might be an indication of a soon to be failing drive.

you have to understand i've been dealing with 3 weeks of every possible thing in my computer going wrong, or rather i can't pin down what's wrong because replacing every single part has done nothing.

Trust me man I've been there. I swear sometimes I have the worst computer luck. And when and my friend get together to do something with computers our luck combined is beyond all comprehension.

in early installation i know i knocked a capacitor (i think that's what the little silos are?) a bit askew putting on a fan but just pushed it back upright and figured it was fine. why i forgot that for this whole time i don't know, but i wonder if that's it.... i have to have missed something since everything is new.
Yeah I'm pretty sure those are the capacitors. You might have been better leaving it bent since bending it back from being bent just weakens it more.

Is this a new motherboard? Do you have a spare?

i think i blew my old one out and processor when replacing a fan, so it's new and i don't have a spare unfortunately. i know my luck isn't any worse than others but it's been a frustrating night, thanks for listening.

i could probably use the warranty and get it replaced anyway. i'll look into it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom