Random reboots without BSOD

earwicker7

In Runtime
I've been getting some random reboots over the last few days. Unfortunately, I'm not getting a BSOD to help me figure out what is going on. I recently changed to Windows 10, and just assumed that I hadn't unchecked the option for an automatic reboot upon crashing, but I went in, and the settings carried over from Windows 8.

Event Viewer doesn't show much... just that there was an unexpected reboot.

Any tips on troubleshooting this one?

Does it happen when you're doing anything in particular?

I'm not really sure, to be honest. I say this because I definitely know that it has rebooted a few times while using Corel Painter, because that resulted in me screaming, but it also rebooted once right after getting out of sleep mode. I think it may have crashed when doing nothing but browsing the net... although it's possible Corel Painter was running in the background... can't say for sure.

Have you updated all of your drivers from each component manufacturers' sites?

Would also suggest maybe checking your RAM with Memtest86+: Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool
Burn the ISO to a disc, boot off of it, and run it for a minimum of 4 hours (the longer the better). If you get any errors at all, then stop the test and remove all sticks of RAM except for 1, and test each stick individually until you find the faulty module.

Would also suggest maybe checking your RAM with Memtest86+: Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool
Burn the ISO to a disc, boot off of it, and run it for a minimum of 4 hours (the longer the better). If you get any errors at all, then stop the test and remove all sticks of RAM except for 1, and test each stick individually until you find the faulty module.

Yeah sounds like maybe the drivers need to be updated since the win10 upgrade, you may have drivers not compatible with it.

I checked for new drivers on the Asus website, and there weren't any. I also ran the Intel Driver Update Utility, and it didn't come up with any that needed replacing.

I will check the component manufacturer's websites and see if anything comes up. If not, should I reinstall all of them?

Last edited:
Also, there's been issues with people doing just the in-place upgrade to Win10 - I'd definitely recommend doing a clean install - it seems to have fixed most people's issues.

This could help the OP but I've only come across this recently (not used it but been reading up on it).

It stress tests the drivers to see if there bad or fail.. https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/ff545448(v=vs.85).aspx

I would like peoples thoughts on it if anyone has used it before, "Driver verifier" Guide Driver Verifier - Enable and Disable in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

Seems to be a good tool?

Looks interesting... I'll try that if nothing else works.

Also, there's been issues with people doing just the in-place upgrade to Win10 - I'd definitely recommend doing a clean install - it seems to have fixed most people's issues.

I don't have Windows 10 media, as I did the upgrade online... is there a way to do a clean install without it?

Back
Top Bottom