Using two pairs of 2x4gb. Will it work?

_SomeOne_

In Runtime
I'm looking to buy two pairs of Corsair CMY8GX3M2A2400C11 Vengeance Pro 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 2400Mhz

I only need 16gb and want 2400mhz.. while also filling my 4 ram slots.
The only way i can see this happening is buying two of these sets.
I have had a look on the internet and most people say its absolutely fine.. while a selected few say you may have problems mixing ram even if its exactly the same.

Whats your take on the matter? Will it work?

It's fine but It will depend on the speeds.

If your 4gb ram is 1600mhz
And your 2gb is 1333mhz and other 2gb is 1600mhz then it will use 1333mhz, so it will be slower than having one 1600mhz stick.

You won't notice a difference though.. Either way, it only makes a difference in total ram size really.

Last edited:
Most people don't listen anyways so I don't make long drawn out posts initially. If they ask I'll answer.

2 sticks will give you dual channel, but you won't see the difference.

another question..
I bought this Vengeance® Pro Series — 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 DRAM 2400MHz C11 Memory Kit (CMY8GX3M2A2400C11)

I've set it to XMP on my MOBO (msi z97 xpower) It's running at 2400Mhz, 11-13-13-31 latency at 1.65V
I've stress tested my PC for over 24hours.. ram and CPU and it was perfectly fine. After the stress test, using the pc normally, web browsing, idling, gaming.. it sometimes just shuts down and says that the overclock was unsuccessful on a black screen... sometimes even before I've typed in my windows pin to get to the desktop.

Would you say its faulty ram?.. or would I have to set the latency manually?

My CPU, i7 4790k is overclocked to 4.7ghz at 1.288 volts and that seems very stable. I haven't had a blue screen during any stress tests or while using the PC normally.
If it was an unstable CPU OC.. it wouldn't show the black screen with OC unsuccessful would it? It would only be a blue screen right?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom