HP Pavilion PC with new SSD

cyclones

In Runtime
I installed a Samsung 256GB SSD in my friend's computer with a fresh install of Windows 7 x64. Installed all up to date drivers and updates but it seems like the whole PC is sluggish on performance. I installed the Samsung Magician tools and optimized it for windows, but still seems to be performing slowly. What might be causing this?

It's using SATA 2.0 connectors but it's sluggish because the processor is trash unfortunately. That thing is running AMD's equivalent of an Atom basically but slower, and it also only has 10/100 networking, as well as slow DDR3.

What would you recommend for a PC that's lower end but still would be fast with the SSD? Any motherboard with Sata 3.0??

Basically any low end AMD APU or Intel chipset has SATA 3. How cheap does the person want? I believe they could move to Intel for less than 100 bucks.

Edit: To clarify it isn't really a SATA2 problem, it's a CPU problem for sluggish performance.

Last edited:
I have an old Dell Optiplex 745 that I don't use anymore. Would that have better performance? Is there an Intel PC you could recommend to purchase?

Well she thought that purchasing that SSD drive would make the performance and such a lot faster and I thought it would too, but looks like both were wrong. I would probably rather have her get a new PC than adding parts. Are there any low end budget PCs out there that would work slick with the SSD? If not, would parts would you specifically recommend to upgrade?

Back
Top Bottom