what SSD drive to get for a PC?

I wouldn't setup a mirrored RAID and waste a perfectly good SSD on a backup image like that. Buy a cheap external HDD and have it to backups or system images every now and then instead.

The only reason I could see doing a RAID with two SSDs would be to double your storage space, but with the prices coming down quickly on these things, even that makes little sense when it comes to money compared to buying a second drive now, unless you get one of the larger drives.

Thanks guys,

I am planning on doing the RAID on HDD drives that I will use for storing stuff (mostly music).
The SSD will carry Win7 and software. I currently have two 1TB HDDs set up in a mirrored RAID and I use those for storage as well, so I thought I'd do the same with another two HDDs. Not a good idea?

RAID 1 isn't redundant though. You could lose your array easily. RAID 5 is the best "temp" backup solution. Otherwise, just use 0 for speed....which I wouldn't really suggest either.

RAID 6? I would have to research how that works first.
Keep in mind, I'm not very knowledgeable with PC stuff to be honest.
But since I use my PC to record music, I want my recordings to be backed-up.

I think an external drive for back-up will be easiest for me.

So, if I just get one single internal HDD drive used for storing files, music, etc, what size would be best? I think 1 TB would be plenty, but is there any downside to getting a 2TB or bigger-in terms of are they less reliable or anything like that?

Back
Top Bottom