what SSD drive to get for a PC?

Santuzzo

Daemon Poster
Hi,

I want to re-install Win7 on my desktop PC and I thought while doing that I might as well replaced my hard drive with a solid state drive.
Currently my hard drive that carries Win and some other software is a 600GB drive, so I would like to get either a 500 GB or a 1 TG solid state drive.
What brands/models do you recommend? What should I look out for?
Would it be better to bet two separate SSD drives of say 250GB each than on 500GB drive?

thanks,
Lars

Last edited:
Re: what SDD drive to get for a PC?

Samsung 850EVO or Crucial MX100. Can't go wrong with those. You don't necessarily need to place all software on the SSD. You can retain a drive for software that won't take advantage of SSD speeds.

Samsung 850EVO or Crucial MX100. Can't go wrong with those. You don't necessarily need to place all software on the SSD. You can retain a drive for software that won't take advantage of SSD speeds.

Thank you!
I forgot to mention that I also have two 1TG hard drives (RAID-mirrored) that I use to store data on. But since that is m E: drive, I would need to install software on my C and D drive (portioned on one drive) which would be the SDD drive I want to buy.
In many cases a software won't let me choose where to install and will only intall onto C or am I missing something?
Hence I figured I'd get a SDD drive with about 500 GB.

Most all large softwares allow you to move the directory. If you're a gamer you can put your whole Steam library wherever you want. I mean if you have the money go ahead and grab yourself a large SSD, no harm in it.

I got another question regarding back-up:
If I plan on cloning my C drive with Win7 and other software on it, is it possible to do that on an external USB connected hard drive or would this only be possible on an internal SATA connected drive?

I got another question regarding back-up:
If I plan on cloning my C drive with Win7 and other software on it, is it possible to do that on an external USB connected hard drive or would this only be possible on an internal SATA connected drive?

I haven't used Samsung's Magician cloning software before, so it might not be able to, but lots of other cloning software allows you to do this, so it probably can.

Thanks, guys!

While I am at it I was thinking I might also get a 2nd HDD of 1TB or even 2TB to have more storage space.
My idea was to get two identical HDD drives to set up in a mirrored RAID system.

I have been looking online for internal HDD drives, and it looks like WD or Seagate are the top selling brands?
What HDD drives do you guys recommend?

Back
Top Bottom