What do you look for when buying a PC or Laptop?

It's really just the thought that it could be dangerous... you know, leaving the system open for attack and all that.

Anyway, forgetting all this, what do you think of Windows 10? I keep hearing people talking about problems with it freezing. I also keep hearing other problems, like not being able to power down your computer, or something. But then there are others talking of how great it is and how it's basically Windows 8.1 but done right. I heard there was major issues with 8.1.

Well John, I can tell you Windows 10 feels and acts similar to a smart phone. Gone are the distinct icons and 'old' look adopted from vista. Windows 10 feels flat/matte almost in the representation. I've spent some time now playing around, mostly for steam and web browsing.

I cannot recall many issues out of the operating system, I had one hiccup during a video card installation that resulted in my hard drive not being recognized. Powers on and off fine.

He said for gaming....

I'm aware of that fact.

I had gotten 2 of my gaming laptops for around $700 a piece; 1 was a refurb and the other was used from a forum. Both played most games decently for quite a while until I needed something beefier.

For the circumstances I was in, a laptop was better suited for me than a desktop. That's why I said "depends on the use case" - I suppose I should have phrased that better and said "depends on poster's circumstances/needs".

Considering he has a desktop now and didn't specify anything besides gaming, a desktop seems to be the wiser choice. More than likely opting for laptops because it's a genuine misconception that laptops are cheaper. Don't want to get anybody into the no upgrade rut unless they absolutely needed it.

I want a laptop so I can move around my house, I will also do some gaming at other places. I just can't stay in the same exact place half the day so having a laptop would definitely be the better option for me. I've been trying to see if I can just stay in one room but so far it just doesn't seem the best choice at all. So what kind of CPU,RAM and Drive should I get to make my computer faster? How fast the CPU? How much RAM? SSD or HDD? I want one recommendation for under 689 and one for 600ish or less if possible.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom