Workstation upgrade - Quadro?

S0ULphIRE

Golden Master
I'm putting together an upgrade for a friend who does freelance motion graphics work - he's already got a decent i7 & 16GB of ram, but he's running a GTX 480 atm and it's clearly slowing things down. Renders take forever (when CUDA doesn't crash on this card..), and previews are slow and limited.

I'm entirely out of my depth as far as Quadro/Tesla/workstation card offerings go - anyone have any recommendations? He does some pretty intensive vids, so I'm thinking he'll need something pretty swanky.

edit: seems like I should be looking at the M4000 or K5200/K5000. The 8GB in the first two cards seems like it'd be greatly helpful over the 4GB in the plain K5000

Last edited:
What software is being used? I could test it on the K5200 I have at work for you. Mind you, the 8GB on the K5200 is ECC and only 256bit. Not all software utilizes CUDA properly either.

It's all Adobe CC stuff, PremierePro/MediaEncoder/AfterEffects/etc, the raw material varies but it's often from high end cams like the 1DX

Hmmm, I can get both the K5000 and K5200 through dell, and the price gap is about a grand. Won't ultimately be a price issue, but I wouldn't wanna recommend spending extra for a 5% bump

Well I have it setup with all Adobe products and it doesn't really do much. The biggest difference is in the codecs being used and when you find the right combo even a Geforce card with the Mercury plugin hacked in will do the job.

The big difference in the cards is 800 CUDA cores and 4GB of RAM lol. That's the cost bump. It's basically a modified GTX 780 with 256bit ECC RAM.

Back
Top Bottom