intel atom

I'm not real sure how you made it in IT. Just because there's no use for you doesn't mean it isn't necessary. I have a Haswell i5 in my work laptop and it's slow. I'd hate to move to a tablet and it be even slower. Especially a Surface Pro 3 that has a 1440p screen. I guess you forgot that mobile processors are slower than their desktop counterparts. A 1.8GHz i7 that gets thermal throttled from time to time isn't that quick and when you're expected to do office work on something like that (or slower) it gets a little irritating.

I'm not real sure how you made it in IT. Just because there's no use for you doesn't mean it isn't necessary. I have a Haswell i5 in my work laptop and it's slow. I'd hate to move to a tablet and it be even slower. Especially a Surface Pro 3 that has a 1440p screen. I guess you forgot that mobile processors are slower than their desktop counterparts. A 1.8GHz i7 that gets thermal throttled from time to time isn't that quick and when you're expected to do office work on something like that (or slower) it gets a little irritating.

Your not sure how I made it in IT? So because you can give say everyone an i7 you should?... and because I wont, I shouldnt work in IT?

I know mobile CPU's are slower than there PCs CPU's (who doesn't)... but doesn't mean there **** slow, would you say an iphone 5s is slow?... I'm saying it is abit extreme to use an i7 when the normal user wont notice the different with an i3 or i5.. your business will save money etc...

You just want the best of all tech and performance, thats good for you, but dont mock how I could work in IT, just because I don't see the need for general users to have the top spec...

and by the way, he never said what type of tablet... I wouldnt compare a surface to other tablets... I see it as a new replacement for a laptop.. and you would agree a comapny wont go, "should we give staff a surface or a android tablet" to replace their laptops...

Last edited:
Your not sure how I made it in IT? So because you can give say everyone an i7 you should?... and because I wont, I shouldnt work in IT?
I didn't say that. Being closed minded saying "it isn't needed" simply because you can't find a use for it is why I made that comment. The majority of users here have i5s in either desktop or laptop flavor. Yes, they are slow. Our mobile machines run encryption which cripples even the i7 when using the company image. If your machine crashes and you have to wait 3+ minutes during a presentation on an 8.1 bootup with an SSD because you're CPU limited it demands faster machines.

I know mobile CPU's are slower than there PCs CPU's (who doesn't)... but doesn't mean there **** slow, would you say an iphone 5s is slow?... I'm saying it is abit extreme to use an i7 when the normal user wont notice the different with an i3 or i5.. your business will save money etc...
Yes, I find an iPhone 5s slow. They don't know the immediate benefits to an i3 or an i7, but the only difference is clockspeed when talking about your average U or T variant processor. The difference between a 2.9GHz i7 to a 1.8GHz i5 is huge. Especially in our environment. So you're right that they don't know the difference, but they definitely can tell when the machine is faster. Actually, our company is running 9470m HP Folio Ultrabooks because of a closed minded hindsight like yours. Thinking the longer battery life of the slower i5 compared to the better performance of the faster 8460/70m i5 and i7s would be beneficial to the users and the SSD will make up for it. It doesn't, and actually the newer laptops are slower because of it due to the company image and encryption.

You just want the best of all tech and performance, thats good for you, but dont mock how I could work in IT, just because I don't see the need for general users to have the top spec...
See above. It's not a case of wanting "the best tech", it's a case of when you have 16000 people (yes, 16 thousand) complaining their machines are slow because of a closed minded preferred product group you tend to want them to have better tech. Doubly so when it comes to mobile devices because they are inherently slower than their desktop counterparts.

and by the way, he never said what type of tablet... I wouldnt compare a surface to other tablets... I see it as a new replacement for a laptop.. and you would agree a comapny wont go, "should we give staff a surface or a android tablet" to replace their laptops...
Actually laptop users are getting Toshiba Z20t tablets to replace their laptops and Android isn't allowed for company use here.
As to the OP, I owned an Atom based Android tablet and it was slow as hell. I've owned Atom based netbooks and they too are slow as hell.

Another advantage to having the Core i variants or Core M in a tablet is the GPU. It won't bog on video content. The GPU in the Pro 3 is an HD5000 which handles video content way better than the HD4400 in most of our mobile machines here. There's more to it than simply "having an i7".

And actually, I would prefer Core M over an i7 for vPro graphics, passively cooled solutions, and much much longer battery life. That is why people are getting the Z20t over current laptops. The people who aren't closed minded listened to me, and the people who have demo'd, tested, and played with the tablets on the field love them.

I remember my netbook had an atom, it was so terrible slow.
I was lucky to be able to sell that thing before tablets became famous.

I remember my netbook had an atom, it was so terrible slow.
I was lucky to be able to sell that thing before tablets became famous.

I still have/use a netbook EEE PC 1000H, I use it to run Linux on the go, it works without crashing/ slowing down... I can run multiple programs at once.

Reason i use the EEE is because I have (and you can) modified the netbook itself, it's really good and easy to add new modules etc. :cool:

I still have/use a netbook EEE PC 1000H, I use it to run Linux on the go, it works without crashing/ slowing down... I can run multiple programs at once.

Reason i use the EEE is because I have (and you can) modified the netbook itself, it's really good and easy to add new modules etc. :cool:

I had good memories with mine.
It was super helpful during my flight attendant days and when I used to fly to Dubai.
I'd load it up with tv shows and movies to kill time at the hotels and my flights.
It was totally worth it for the time (2010-12)
I just tried out a Lenovo that was powered by a 64-bit quad-core 1.5 GHz MediaTek MT8165 chipset and has 2GB of RAM and it performed much better.
I know different OS...

Back
Top Bottom