Anti surge triggered

kidmo87

In Runtime
Last night was my first time gaming with my computer. I played for about an hour and a half. My computer restarted and I was prompt with a message:
Power supply surges detected during the previous power on. Asus anti surge was triggered.
I have had my computer on longer than that without playing games with no problems.
Anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks
My specs:
Power supply: EVGA 220-G2-0850-XR 80 PLUS GOLD 850 W
Motherboard: Asus z170-a
Ram: Cosair vengeance LPX (2x8gb) 3000mhz
Graphics card: EVGA geforce gtx 980ti
Processor: i5 6600k
Thermaltake water 3.0 extreme s water cooler.

Are you hooked up directly to your wall? Are you getting "clean" power from the wall? Are you hooked up to a surge protector at all (or UPS)?

I'd recommend picking up a UPS (aka battery backup) - preferably one that "cleans" the power that comes in from the wall.

While I agree a UPS is a must have device, I'm leaning more toward the power supply it self has an issue.
It's sounding like the regulation on one of the power rails is not stable. The warning text is the tip off. I would get HWMonitor and monitor the voltages over a period of time. If the power supply should be having internal regulation issues, it will show in the Current, Min, and Max columns. Here's a link to it: HWMONITOR | Softwares | CPUID Go down the left side and get the exe file. Make sure to clear the min/max to get a starting point and make a note of the time you started monitoring.

Here's a screen dump of my power supply readings.

attachment.php

^ I honestly don't trust software readouts for voltages - maybe that's just me being old fashioned...but the BIOS would show better voltages; or even if your board has voltage measure points (some higher end boards have 'em nowadays), measure them directly with a multimeter.

I've tested HWM against my bios. Pretty accurate. The problem occurred when gaming for a length of time. Putting a meter on a test point while idle is not going to see the event take place. Same for the bios. All you're going to see is idle voltages.
I would believe you'd have to stress the PSU some like gaming and wait for the event to occur.

An even quicker way to stress the entire system is run Prime with HWM open and observe how the power rails react to the load. Let it run for the same length of time as that round of gaming and see if one or more of the rails steps out of max range.
If nothing happens, then for sure get a UPS or at least a solid surge strip.

And another thing to check is the ground pin on the outlet you're plugged in to. If the ground wire is not connected to the outlet it needs to be. Check the ground rod and make sure the wire is on it and has not come loose. Be careful when checking the outlet. You at the lease can get the snot knocked out of you. At the worst you can be injured badly or electrocuted. Matter of fact you can find a good plug in outlet tester for cheap that cuts out having to remove the outlet. Check local hardware stores.

Last edited:
Okay so I tried to turn on my computer to try that program, but it won't start. Only the light turns on, but no fans are spinning. Last night when it shut off and the asus surge protection showed, it restarted my computer.

Which light is on?

I'd try removing all components except the basics: Mobo, CPU, 1 stick of RAM, PSU. You can use onboard for graphics. See if you can boot up then.

May have to try using a different PSU if you can - if it ends up being the PSU, then I'd send it in for warranty.

The light that turns on is the power led on my motherboard, and power power button from my computer case.
Took out graphics card, and one of my sticks of ram, and still not working.

Talked to my power supply manufacturer, and they weren't a big help. Then talked to Asus and they were a lot better. We went through my build and there wasn't much we could do because I don't have an extra power supply laying around. He told me my best bet would be to return my power supply, and if that doesn't work, to return my asus motherboard for a new one.
Thanks everyone for your help.

Back
Top Bottom