12v computer system (HW+SW)??

ReeceJ

Beta member
Hello is there anyone that would be interested in designing a 12v computer system?
This would be from the ground up?
•hardware
•software

I want to create a system that can be 12v operational but has the feature to be connected to an actual computer via usb
This system needs to be ip65 rated for outdoor use and be able to store a battery life or gather input power from usb when disconnected from 12v dc supply
When connected to a computer would need to make a program to change features to a certain extent

I am from the uk so someone who is uk based would be preffrable but not a significant feature

Since you say it needs to be able to run off of USB when disconnected from the 12v supply, the computer really needs to be a 5v computer, not 12v. Otherwise you would need circuitry to up the 5v from the USB to 12v for the computer to run.

Not trying to be a wet blanket, but there are embedded systems out there that already to what you're proposing.

I apprectiate all your messages and input
As you all seem to know alittle more than me .. It has to be implimented with a computer connection , like i said preffrably usb to transfer data or dash board system faces?

And i understand there is technology out there to begin with that allready does this .. But non of which is an after market feature ..
Im looking for someone who could help me aswell as partisipate in a business venture .
Many thanks
ReeceJ

Sounds like you're pretty much describing a Raspberry Pi. Or any other FPGA setup.

Sounds like you're pretty much describing a Raspberry Pi. Or any other FPGA setup.

Hi carnagex

Not to sure what or how these 2 systems operate

Not wanting to give too much away
As i think it could be a business proposition as with how technology is coming along these days
And competitive prices of products i believe putting the components together would be minimal

Just software and the hardware design
Which i need help with

Thanks

Raspberry Pi - which is a 5v, credit-card sized computer for $35 that runs an ARM CPU (a quad-core Cortex A7 in the latest revision) that is able to run ARM-compatible Linux, or Windows 10 IoT core:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raspberry_Pi

There's also things such as Minnowboards which have x86 CPU's and can run full x86 OS's, for < $50.

An FPGA is a generic term for a chip that can be programmed to do logical operations; i.e. AND / OR / NAND / NOR, etc. that used to be done with individual chips/IC's.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Field-programmable_gate_array

Last edited:
Not to jack this thread but the minnowboard looks real interesting. Is there any information about the board other than the homepage? That sort of leaves much to be desired. Looking for what languages it can run and add on goodies for it.

Back
Top Bottom