Gigabyte 970A-DS3P BIOS settings to install Windows 10 to fresh MBR disk ??

fonebone

Solid State Member
Hi:

I built a new computer a few months ago and have had nothing but trouble from using a GPT system for the first time - Now, after a complete system crash (Windows 7) a couple of days ago I have deleted all partitions and created new partitions as MBR . . . They are now sitting there empty waiting for me to take the opportunity to push in the new Windows 10 x64 DVD I just burned.

Question: As I am getting a bit weary from the error messages popping up related to the GPT stuff and the BIOS settings, does anyone have any recommended settings for the following so that I could expect a first time Windows installation and an evenings TV viewing instead of banging my head against a brick wall..?

BIOS Features:
? 1 Boot Mode Selection
? 2 Storage Boot Option Control
? 3 Other PCI Device ROM Priority

Peripherals:
? 4 OnChip SATA Type
? 5 SATA Hot Plug on PORT 0, etc

I'm thinking of starting with everything in Legacy mode and crank it up from there as I go along . . . What do you think ?

tia

What size is the hard drive?
You'll need to use GPT if your drive is over 2 tb or partition the drive into 2 - 1 gig partitions

Here is a .pdf link for your mother board, it explains most of the bios settings, where they are and what the default settings should be
Gigabyte 970A-DS3P
http://download.gigabyte.us/FileList/Manual/mb_manual_ga-970a-ds3p_v.2.x_e.pdf
If you have the free version of windows 10, you have to upgrade it from Windows 7 SP1 or Windows 8.1 first. If you have already done this then your all set to install a clean copy of 10
You should use AHCI mode, and you can get the drivers from Gigabyte's web site here:

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=5216#dl

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply, Joe . . . Hardrive is 1TB

About the drivers, there's a 126mb chipset driver there for Windows 7 and 8 but no sign of anything like it for Windows 10 - The same goes for SATA RAID/AHCI drivers and USB3 driver... The only thing I can think of is that Microsoft have it all covered with their own drivers at the moment.

Thanks for the reply, Joe . . . Hardrive is 1TB

About the drivers, there's a 126mb chipset driver there for Windows 7 and 8 but no sign of anything like it for Windows 10 - The same goes for SATA RAID/AHCI drivers and USB3 driver... The only thing I can think of is that Microsoft have it all covered with their own drivers at the moment.

Are you looking on Gigabyte's site or are you looking on Intel's website directly?

Gigabyte only offers two drivers for Windows 10, the LAN and Audio. The rest of the drivers are native to Windows 10 and are not necessary to install. Of course you might get better updated drivers directly from Intel

Thanks for the replies . . . it's a bit late but I was looking at Gigabyte's website... It's nothing to do with Intel, AMD FX4300 CPU...

However, I gave up the ghost and tried installing Windows 10 with everything in the BIOS set at Legacy. Big success, installed first time and everything's been running OK for three days, apart from USB3 eject hiccoughs - ( I think a new technique is needed, a lot of people been moaning about it, what I do is set the Eject USB Taskbar icon to 'don't show' then go to Windows Explorer and r/click Eject and you can see it disappear from the Explorer window and then remove the device... )

Anyway, I was just poaking around the AMD website and found this:

AMD Chipset, AHCI, USB 3.0 and RAID Drivers:
Windows 10/8.1/7 (32-bit | 64-bit​​​
Download Drivers
Chipset

So, Question: What to do now..? Get these drivers or stick with a functioning system that is courtesy of Microsoft and all that lies within..?

:neutral:

Back
Top Bottom