Internet has suddenly stopped working

The thing about Internet Explorer is that if a Proxy Server is set then a majority of the programs in Windows use those settings meaning that Skype and other online applications won't be able to connect either.

If you would click on the start menu and type "internet" in the search bar do not press enter. This should list above it all of the different things that match the search in a minimalistic way and you will see Internet Options. Click on this...another way to get there is to open Internet Explorer click the gear and then click on Internet Options toward the bottom of the context menu

Once in Internet Options you will see a tab along the top should be the 5th if not mistaken that says "Connections" Click on the connections tab and you will see a button toward the bottom that says LAN Settings click that button and see if there is a check in the Use Proxy Server For Your LAN. If it is checked uncheck it click on OK then OK. Close your browser and restart it

We'll start there....

I dont use internet explorer, I never have on this PC. I use Chrome and I tried that suggestion already from a previous post. LAN settings are set to auto detect

Appreciate the help guys

Last edited:
If you reboot your computer into safe mode with networking what happens?

Sorry for the edit but try opening a command prompt (cmd) as administrator and typing

netsh winhttp reset proxy then press enter

Then try accessing the Internet again

Last edited:
If you reboot your computer into safe mode with networking what happens?

Sorry for the edit but try opening a command prompt (cmd) as administrator and typing

netsh winhttp reset proxy then press enter

Then try accessing the Internet again

Direct access <No Proxy Server>

I booted up in safe mode and it wont let me do anything with the network diagnostics

Last edited:
Direct access <No Proxy Server>

I booted up in safe mode and it wont let me do anything with the network diagnostics

There should have been an option for Safe Mode with Networking. Regular Safe Mode won't allow you to access any network resources, as it disabled network functionality.

Did you select the With Networking option as shown below?

advancedbootmenu.jpg

iPv4 Address, 192.168.1.90

Default Gateway, 192.168.1.254

I booted it up in safe mode with networking and it was still not letting me do anything via the connections tab, I had a red cross over the connection in the bottom right hand corner (it first has a loading disc over it for say 5-10 seconds then a red cross appears), when I go into that and try to resolve the problem it tells me, 'reboot your computer to exit safe mode, network diagnostics cannot be run in safe mode'

Plug in a cable, Run in cmd

Ipconfig /release
Ipconfig /renew
Ipconfig /flushdns

Run ipconfig /all

Paste the log, but remove the MAC, we don't need to see that. :cool:

I've just ran my comp into safe mode and done a system restore to a point that was two weeks ago and now the internet is working fine??

For how long though I dont know?

I've just ran my comp into safe mode and done a system restore to a point that was two weeks ago and now the internet is working fine??

For how long though I dont know?

Awesome that is the next thing I was going to suggest, sorry for the delayed response.

We need to go back into safe mode with networking and run some programs

The first is rKill this helps make sure that the other programs we run will be able to do their jobs right

Next we need to run Eset's Free Online Scanner
This one will take a while as I want you to say yes to the detect PuPs

After that is done then we want to run Malwarebytes. If you already have it installed make sure to update it and then run. If not download and install the free version, you don't need to enable the premium trial though that is up to you. Be sure to update it. Run it and remove any threats that it finds

The next is Emsisoft's Emergencyt Kit be sure to update it before continuing. Once it is updated be sure to run the regular scan not the quick scan.

The next step is to run Junk Removal Tool "JRT"

At this point I want you to make another Windows restore point

Now run ADWCleaner this will cause your computer to reboot once it is finished and that is fine. You can let your computer start regularly

At this point running HiJackThis would be a good idea. Run it but DO NOT CLICK FIX CHECKED please. Instead click save log. I usually save the log to desktop. It will open the log automatically and you can copy and then paste it to the hijackthis logs analyze thread here

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom