Internet has suddenly stopped working

Verby

Solid State Member
Hi guys,

The other evening I was downloading and installing iTunes after buying a new iPod, after numerous failed attempts of opening iTunes after downloading it I gave up and uninstalled it and turned my computer off for the evening.

The next evening after work I log on as usual and notice my internet is not working on my PC, I checked my laptop which is picking it up and working wireless, my xbox was working which is connected via Ethernet to my router.

I removed my ethernet cable from my PC and try it in both my Laptop and Xbox and it works fine so the Ethernet cable is not faulty. A green light still shows up on the back of my PC where I plug the Ethernet cable in so im assuming something is working there.

I have tried a system restore to the date before the problem started but I was getting an error saying that there were files that couldn't be found and the system was not restored?

My computer is Windows 7 premium
Network adapters - Realtek PCI GBE Family Controller, Realtek PCIe CBE Family controller, Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface (Yellow explanation mark next to it) .

I am at my wits end here now with trying to fix this, its a top of the range PC and is less than a year old.

I'd like to add I also have a USB to Ethernet adapter and I tried that and that was also not working!!

Things I have tried are,

Uninstall iTunes and everything that comes with it
Reset my router numerous times
Disable and Enable the network adapters

Last edited:
you can try going into the device manager, Control panel>device manager.
Click on Network Adapters and in the drop down right click on the ethernet device, in that drop down box select Uninstall, but keep your drivers and reboot your pc. If that does not work do the same thing again except remove the drivers. reboot, re-install the driver (you'll need the drivers on your pc to install) and see if that does anything

If you would indulge me here:

First, when you say your Internet is not working, does that mean that when you open your Browser i.e. Internet Explorer, Firefox, Chrome etc...that it can not open a website only?

Have you tried opening a command prompt and using Ping to see if it gets out?

You can do this by typing "ping 8.8.8.8" at the command prompt. If this works then you are definitely connected to the Internet and the problem is likely in the Browser such as a proxy setting for example. If the 8.8.8.8 is working and then you follow up by typing "ping google.com" in the command prompt and this does not work then your DNS is not able to work correctly and you may want to test your adapter settings and your Host file.

I didn't ask what version of Windows you are using by the way. Another thing that is popular to happen to a lot of people using Windows 8+ is that Airplane mode gets set to on which doesn't allow Internet connection. Be sure that Airplane Mode is set to off.

OP's first post:
My computer is Windows 7 premium
Network adapters - Realtek PCI GBE Family Controller, Realtek PCIe CBE Family controller, Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface (Yellow explanation mark next to it) .

I am at my wits end here now with trying to fix this, its a top of the range PC and is less than a year old.

OP's first post:

Yeah once I saw your post I remembered, Thanks...

Since neither the Ethernet Adapter or the USB Network adapter work I am betting that there is actually Internet connection and something is stopping the Browsers from working. Interested to hear about the Ping results from the cmd prompt

If you would indulge me here:

First, when you say your Internet is not working, does that mean that when you open your Browser i.e. Internet Explorer, Firefox, Chrome etc...that it can not open a website only?

Have you tried opening a command prompt and using Ping to see if it gets out?

You can do this by typing "ping 8.8.8.8" at the command prompt. If this works then you are definitely connected to the Internet and the problem is likely in the Browser such as a proxy setting for example. If the 8.8.8.8 is working and then you follow up by typing "ping google.com" in the command prompt and this does not work then your DNS is not able to work correctly and you may want to test your adapter settings and your Host file.

I didn't ask what version of Windows you are using by the way. Another thing that is popular to happen to a lot of people using Windows 8+ is that Airplane mode gets set to on which doesn't allow Internet connection. Be sure that Airplane Mode is set to off.

Results from 'Ping 8.8.8.8'

Packets: Sent 4, Recieved 4, Lost 0, 0% loss

Results from ping google.com

Cant be my browser settings as I cant even get on Skype, Steam, Battle.net and other programmes which require the inernet on my PC

you can try going into the device manager, Control panel>device manager.
Click on Network Adapters and in the drop down right click on the ethernet device, in that drop down box select Uninstall, but keep your drivers and reboot your pc. If that does not work do the same thing again except remove the drivers. reboot, re-install the driver (you'll need the drivers on your pc to install) and see if that does anything

I tried the first option and rebooted, didnt work. I cant try the second option where I have to remove the drivers aswel until tomorrow.

A lot of times removing the ethernet device and letting windows re-install will re-set your network settings to the defaults.
You can go into Internet Options in the Control Panel, On the Connections tab, at the bottom click on LAN Settings. see if there are any Proxy Server settings listed in there, if there is, then uncheck the box that shows "Use Proxy Server for Your LAN".

Also, Open your Network and Sharing Center, Click on "Change Adapter Settings" on the left column. Right click on your LAN device listed, and select Properties from the drop down box. On the Networking tab, select Internet Protocol Version 4(TCP/IPv4) and click on Properties, Check to see if IP address and DNS addresses are set to automatic. Do the same for IPv6 too. If you do have another IP address in there, and it is not set to automatic, then there is a chance your pc is being hijacked from something malicious

Results from 'Ping 8.8.8.8'

Results from ping google.com

Cant be my browser settings as I cant even get on Skype, Steam, Battle.net and other programmes which require the inernet on my PC

The thing about Internet Explorer is that if a Proxy Server is set then a majority of the programs in Windows use those settings meaning that Skype and other online applications won't be able to connect either.

If you would click on the start menu and type "internet" in the search bar do not press enter. This should list above it all of the different things that match the search in a minimalistic way and you will see Internet Options. Click on this...another way to get there is to open Internet Explorer click the gear and then click on Internet Options toward the bottom of the context menu

Once in Internet Options you will see a tab along the top should be the 5th if not mistaken that says "Connections" Click on the connections tab and you will see a button toward the bottom that says LAN Settings click that button and see if there is a check in the Use Proxy Server For Your LAN. If it is checked uncheck it click on OK then OK. Close your browser and restart it

We'll start there....

A lot of times removing the ethernet device and letting windows re-install will re-set your network settings to the defaults.
You can go into Internet Options in the Control Panel, On the Connections tab, at the bottom click on LAN Settings. see if there are any Proxy Server settings listed in there, if there is, then uncheck the box that shows "Use Proxy Server for Your LAN".

Also, Open your Network and Sharing Center, Click on "Change Adapter Settings" on the left column. Right click on your LAN device listed, and select Properties from the drop down box. On the Networking tab, select Internet Protocol Version 4(TCP/IPv4) and click on Properties, Check to see if IP address and DNS addresses are set to automatic. Do the same for IPv6 too. If you do have another IP address in there, and it is not set to automatic, then there is a chance your pc is being hijacked from something malicious
Everything is set to auto detect for all suggestions

Back
Top Bottom