new pc, turn on black screen, restart and everything's fine

MrTimn

Beta member
So I just finished building my new computer last week, and I have a strange problem where, every morning when I turn it on I get a black screen, keyboard and mouse don't light up but all the fans spin and the GPU LED lights up, so I turn it off and on again and everything works fine? is it a motherboard problem? or HDD?

would be nice if you posted some specs about this pc, like the power supply (brand name, model and wattage), motherboard, cpu, case, memory, hard drive(s) ....ect

specs are
Corsair Hydro Series H90 140mm CPU Cooler
Corsair Vengeance LPX CMK8GX4M2A2133C13 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4
Corsair RM750i 80Plus Gold 750W Modular Power Supply
ASUS Z170 PRO Gaming Motherboard
EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Superclocked ACX 2.0 4GB
Western Digital WD Black WD3003FZEX 3TB
Intel Core i5 6600K

Sounds like it may be an incorrectly configured option in BIOS (e.g. memory speed) - very strange behaviour though.

When you start your PC and don't get a black screen, please take note of what your memory is configured to run at (e.g. 1333Mhz), then restart and enter your BIOS and make sure it's manually set to run at that frequency.

edit: just checked your memory specs, your ram is meant to run at 2133MHz apparently - so when you successfully boot your PC, please check the frequency it's running at and post back with whether it matches 2133MHz

edit2: holy hell, just checked your mobo specs. THat's a pretty impressive board :p was worried it wouldn't support 2133Mhz memory, but that's the lowest speed listed in its compatibility list :O

Last edited:
The board does have on board Intel graphics (igpu), What does it do when you remove the EVGA GeForce GTX 980 and try running it on the igpu?

thanks soulphire, yes half the reason built this new computer was to upgrade to ddr4 ram and to go from my old 2600k i7 and my 660ti gpu, thanks joe, I tried that with the same results, although I'm starting to think it may be a boot order issue

Hi there...

It is a bit strange that you turn it off and then back on and it runs fine with no other signs of problem....

Just pulling this out of thin air here...have you tried pulling out your memory and video card then reseating the memory and video? Though it would be a good idea like Joe said and pull that video card and use the onboard video and see if that makes it not happen but I would pull the memory and video and reseat them for sure...You should always at the very least get a cursor or something on your screen...It may even be a good idea if you have disabled the splash screen and on screen boot info to re-enable them temporarily and see if anything does show up...it is sounding like it is not getting through the post the first time and perhaps the heat is causing a connection or something to connect so the second boot gets the connection...

Boot order doesn't make any sense as it would be that way every time you booted same with the Bios unless the bios is resetting itself but should still get something on the screen my bet is the post count and the board and power supply heating up causing just enough of a change to give the connection...

Hi there...

It is a bit strange that you turn it off and then back on and it runs fine with no other signs of problem....

Just pulling this out of thin air here...have you tried pulling out your memory and video card then reseating the memory and video? Though it would be a good idea like Joe said and pull that video card and use the onboard video and see if that makes it not happen but I would pull the memory and video and reseat them for sure...You should always at the very least get a cursor or something on your screen...It may even be a good idea if you have disabled the splash screen and on screen boot info to re-enable them temporarily and see if anything does show up...it is sounding like it is not getting through the post the first time and perhaps the heat is causing a connection or something to connect so the second boot gets the connection...

Boot order doesn't make any sense as it would be that way every time you booted same with the Bios unless the bios is resetting itself but should still get something on the screen my bet is the post count and the board and power supply heating up causing just enough of a change to give the connection...

I would reseat the RAM and CPU (repaste of course), leave the GPU out, and try boot with the built in graphics card and if you have multiple RAM sticks then try one at a time..

Once it does boot, does it run fine until you switch it off later in the day?

Is this pc over clocked?
For system failure due to overclocking, use the CPU Parameter Recall C.P.R.) feature. Shut down and reboot the system, then the BIOS automatically resets parameter
On page 1 - 16.2 in the manual, there are cpu over volt jumpers. The default should be pins 1 & 2. The cpu over volt are pins 2 & 3. Check and try re-setting the bios to it's default.
That board has a lot of options on it, looks like a very nice board. Be sure to thoroughly go through the manual to get a full understanding of all the options available.
http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1151/Z170-PRO-GAMING/E10719_Z170_PRO_GAMING_UM_V2_WEB.pdf

Sounds like it may be an incorrectly configured option in BIOS (e.g. memory speed) - very strange behaviour though.

When you start your PC and don't get a black screen, please take note of what your memory is configured to run at (e.g. 1333Mhz), then restart and enter your BIOS and make sure it's manually set to run at that frequency.

edit: just checked your memory specs, your ram is meant to run at 2133MHz apparently - so when you successfully boot your PC, please check the frequency it's running at and post back with whether it matches 2133MHz

edit2: holy hell, just checked your mobo specs. THat's a pretty impressive board :p was worried it wouldn't support 2133Mhz memory, but that's the lowest speed listed in its compatibility list :O
Yea, DDR4 standard starts at 2133. Z170 and Skylake are DDR4.

thanks soulphire, yes half the reason built this new computer was to upgrade to ddr4 ram and to go from my old 2600k i7 and my 660ti gpu, thanks joe, I tried that with the same results, although I'm starting to think it may be a boot order issue
Hate to be the bearer of bad news bud, but kind of a sidegrade. DDR4 gives no gain in performance and the 2600k is only about 15% slower in benchmarks than 4th and 5th gen CPUs. I would have got a 980ti for your rig and called it a day lol because in the end the CPU upgrade doesn't make much of a difference. It's also extremely saddening that you spent all that money on the platform and didn't get an SSD.

Def not a boot order. What's happening would be a failsafe for a bad boot normally from a piece of hardware being run harder than it should and the next boot the bios loads safe paramaters. I would go in the bios and manually set your RAM to 2133 and make sure your CPU is set to the stock BCLK and ratio, as well as core voltage.

Back
Top Bottom