new hard drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

rookie1010

Fully Optimized
Hi
I have figured that my hard drive has died on me. Can you tell me if i should go for a SATA drive or a normal drive.

i have figured an 80 Gig drive is good enough

which make should i go for?

how does the detect process work. I mean the first thing my machine does is detect IDE drives, if it sees a CD-ROM IDE drive and a SATA hard drive, then will there be a conflict/issue, till now i had been using both IDE drives as CD-ROM and the hard drive

Does your motherboard natively support a SATA drive? Yes you can run SATA devices and IDE devices on the same machine with no conflict issues. I am thinking that your motherboard probably doesn't have SATA connectors and then you would need an adapter which still doesn't give you the throughput of a true SATA connection. If that is the case, then I would just buy a fast IDE drive. If your motherboard does have SATA connections then you will need to enable them. There is a sticky on this forum that has the exact steps to installing SATA hard drives.

yes, my motherboard 81875 ultra does have SATA connectors, but if it is going to be difficult trying to get them to work, i would probably have IDE hard drive instead

can you suggest IDE drive makes
& SATA drive makes

i think an 80 GB drive would be good enough

I would go for IDE. Fast enuff, unless you are a HD freak like me :D I love HD's... and I need new ones .. lol

If you are a hardcore gamer, go for SATA, you won't notice a HUGE difference, though. Or am I wrong??

Given that the cost is pretty close, It's really up to you. Installing SATA isn't that hard, you just have a certain procedure to follow. I would recommend Segate for either SATA or IDE. Also, if you check online, sales at places such as Staples, Frys. You can get a lot of hard drive for the money. A 160 Gig hard drive can be had for around $60-70 when on sale. As long as you get a fast IDE hard drive, I think you will be happy.

i dont know if my WD 160 Gig died on me, i just got it less than a year back. major i will try your suggestion, and see if it works.

this is a real pain, i have been at it for almost 10 hours now, and no luck. i will get that new drive anyways. i think i will go for a 120 gig drive, i dont think i will go for a WD, i will check the drive in my old machine, i am not sure if it is a seagate or a maxtor, which ever one it is, i will go for it, that is the only reliable hard drive i have ever had, rest have all broken down on me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom