Fix or replace my current laptop.

jfenwick

Fully Optimized
Ok guys, longtime out of the loop on laptops. I'm running an MSI GX640 and it's done ok on dota 2 which is the only game I play a lot of right now. However, I will be looking to play a few others in the near future; dungeon defenders 2 and the final fantasy 7 remake when it comes out.

The problem is that I've recently run into a problem with my GX640, the hinge seized and broke the screen casing. So I have two options, pick up a new laptop or there is a used GX640 for $150 I can pick up to just fix up this one and use it for spare parts.

Now I don't have a lot of $$$ for a new laptop right now, max around $500. So I'm just wondering if it's worth trying for something new in that price range or just fix up the gx640 for now.

Specs on the GX640:
- Intel Core i5-430M
- 500.0 GB HDD
- 4GB RAM
- HD5850 video

Thanks guys.

If you're not opposed to the idea, can easily pick up a used MSI for around that price. I've bought both of the MSI's I've owned used and they work/worked perfect. Check Amazon, eBay, and some hardware forums as well that sell a lot of hardware. Will probably have a 2xxx or 3xxx series i5 or even an i7 - and probably either a 5xx or 7xx series nVidia card (or equivalent AMD GPU).

Thanks guys....been cruising the classifieds and I kind of like the m14 idea, I'm not looking for big as this would be used primarily in the car as a mobile work station (with gaming potential during the down time). What's a reasonable rate for a used m14x in good condition?

i7-3740Qm 2.7Ghz
12GB DDR3 1600Mhz
NVIDIA GT650M
HDD 500GB

Any input guys on a rough price for that used but good condition, M14x r2 above? I have no idea what going rates are for gaming laptops so just don't want to over spend if I can help it.

I have found some really good refurbished laptops on eBay. Worth checking out ;)

I've had an Asus G74sx for 3 or 4 years now with no problems, has been a great laptop. Don't carry it around anymore as it is a bit on the weighty side but good for gaming etc. Mine has 12Gb ram etc

On Ebay at the moment: Around $650 to $850

asus g74sx | eBay

$650-$850 is pretty expensive for an older gaming laptop like that.

$650 is closer, but still fairly high. For $850, you can get a used gaming laptop that has a 7xx or even 9xx series card.

$650-$850 is pretty expensive for an older gaming laptop like that.

$650 is closer, but still fairly high. For $850, you can get a used gaming laptop that has a 7xx or even 9xx series card.

Noted, to be honest for the last couple of years the gaming I am limited to is Wizard101 on occasion :eek:

I now spend almost all of my time remoting into 5+ at a time, running Photoshop for Web dev and the like...if and IF is a very big word but IF I ever get my wife to follow through and actually start taking on some of the load i.e. creating and ensuring I follow ToDo lists, do the invoicing and bills etc I may have time to game again at least a little...I miss my Everquest days :angel:

Back
Top Bottom