Mounting computer under table – No case

I don't recommend anybody to do that. It's such a PITA and stupid.

The mineral oil thing? Yeah, it's just more of a "can do it because you can" kind of thing. I always wanted to do it to a spare PC and call into Best Buy and tell them I'd bring my computer in for like a memory upgrade or something, and then bring in a damn aquarium-PC full of mineral oil just to see their faces :lol:.

The mineral oil thing? Yeah, it's just more of a "can do it because you can" kind of thing. I always wanted to do it to a spare PC and call into Best Buy and tell them I'd bring my computer in for like a memory upgrade or something, and then bring in a damn aquarium-PC full of mineral oil just to see their faces :lol:.

That would be epic! And yes, I know it's a PITA, but that's not the point. The point was just another idea aside from the desk mounting of a motherboard and other parts.

If you do it, you'd better video it and post it up here! :p

That would be epic! And yes, I know it's a PITA, but that's not the point. The point was just another idea aside from the desk mounting of a motherboard and other parts.

If you do it, you'd better video it and post it up here! :p
I believe the desk mounting in this post was meant to be more practical. It eliminates the need for a case or spot for a PC which is understandable. An oil PC is just.....ugh.

I believe the desk mounting in this post was meant to be more practical. It eliminates the need for a case or spot for a PC which is understandable. An oil PC is just.....ugh.

PC built into a desk would be better I'd think - as long as there's ample airflow in the desk cavities.

I just don't see how you're going to mount some of that stuff, like the power supply, without adding a side similar to what the case would provide for it to screw into. Even then, depending on the PSU, the vents are on the same side as the screws, which wouldn't end well. Then there's the issue of how to provide stability for the video card. It really needs a second side to connect to other than the motherboard for stability. Same issue, the screws are where the desk would be, which would block those ports.

The only way around it that I can see would be to carve out the desk with a router to fit those parts like the backside of a PC would, but then you would have to put the motherboard on the side.

I just don't see how you're going to mount some of that stuff, like the power supply, without adding a side similar to what the case would provide for it to screw into. Even then, depending on the PSU, the vents are on the same side as the screws, which wouldn't end well. Then there's the issue of how to provide stability for the video card. It really needs a second side to connect to other than the motherboard for stability. Same issue, the screws are where the desk would be, which would block those ports.

The only way around it that I can see would be to carve out the desk with a router to fit those parts like the backside of a PC would, but then you would have to put the motherboard on the side.
You do like Linus did and use brackets. For the GPU he used a ribbon cable and brackets.

Hi all,
Thanks for all the replies! A friend of mine put me onto the idea the other day and I'm guessing he got the idea himself from the video done by the Linus guy – which was extremely helpful!
I think his idea for the graphics card is a good one and would work fine – I had always intended to use a PCI-e extender cable – sorry if that wasn't clear in the first post.

I'm 50% between under the desk and wall mounted, I would much prefer wall mounting even thought it would require more work and would need a much tidier job but would enjoy the challenge! The only reason to consider under the desk rather than wall mounting is my wife isn't a fan of having it on the wall. I plan to show her some photos of how it can be done (leave out the part that mine may not be anywhere near as good!) and also try to sway her with the dust, hair and other negatives of the under desk.

Honestly on the wall you'll get way more dust and hair than under the desk. The biggest problem with being under the desk is you might hit it with your legs, kids might get to it (if you have kids), and animals will be curious if you have those too.

Back
Top Bottom