making your own rounded cables

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaksback

Fully Optimized
Thanks to Holocron the following is a small tutorial on how to make your own rounded cables:

Tools needed

Step 2:

Do that for all of the wiring on the IDE Cable until it looks like the included picture.

Step 3: (Last One)

Once you are done seperating all of the cables, simply tie them up to form a rounded cable. You can use cable ties, or black electrical tape, its up to you. It isn't the pretiest thing in the world but it will definitely improve your air flow until you can save enough money to get all of the fancy new rounded cables.

oh yea, forgot to ask. I was looking on Ebay and i dont know what will fit. There are definitions suck as:

ATA 133
ATA 133 100 66 ROUND IDE
ATA 100/133
UDMA/133 IDE

What will fit my CD-RW/DVD-RW and my floppy drive?

ATA 133
ATA 133 100 66 ROUND IDE
ATA 100/133
Those are almost exactly the same. Those are all IDE cables which will fit on your CD-RW and whatnot....but the difference is in the speeds...133 means 133mb/sec but you'd need to find out if your drives are ata100 or ata133...

Of course the one that says 100/133 means it handles both speeds, and the other one that goes down to 66 handle all those speeds.

Just go with ATA 133/100/66 Round IDE

Jak: That's the really long and difficult way to make round cables..

All you really gotta do is fold the cable in half a couple times and it comes out the same way.

You can BARELY make out my round cable in this pic:

Picture.jpg

It's to the right of the CPU and RAM, and you can see it going up and it's pretty clear between the HD and the CD-Rom....just look for the CD-ROM and follow it's cable, but yeah you can see it there.

I just folded it 2 or 3 times over and it comes out no thicker than a regular bought round cable. Much quicker and easier than trying to slice each cable IMO :D

JAK!! this rocks.. I will try this tonight!!!!!!!
THANKS for this guide!!!

BTW.. IDE cables do not come in speeds. Its either a 40conductor cable or an 80conductor cable. You need 80 for UDMA66 speeds or higher.

oh man....this tut rocks...

a tip for if you are actually going to do it...

when separating the individual cable, you dont have to cut all the way through. Just make a small incision, and you can pull it apart. be careful not to cut into the cabling.

There is an easier and safer alternative, you fold the cables... I'll find the post and edit this one in a sec.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom