USB Corrupted File

badUSBkey

Beta member
Hi,

So I have super important files on a USB key. I am stupid and bought a cheap USB key that caused the files to be corrupted. The files are TIF images. Please let me know if there is any way I can restore these images.

Thanks.

You can try flash recovery programs...but they don't necessarily always work. Try Recuva to see if you can get them recovered.

Thanks for your reply. I tried, but after scanning it ended up requiring a payment of $80 for the actually recovery. Not willing to risk that much money for something that probably won't work.

Most likely caused by not ejecting the thumb drive from windows. It was likely writing a file and got yanked out of the USB port. I've killed some files on mine that way.

Try putting it in another computer to see if it will read it.

Most likely caused by not ejecting the thumb drive from windows. It was likely writing a file and got yanked out of the USB port. I've killed some files on mine that way.

Try putting it in another computer to see if it will read it.

Or just thee fact that cheap flash drives don't last as long - I've had one die on me that I used for compiling programs directly on during college. Didn't last very long due to all of the writes I was doing to it constantly.

I had a SanDisk cruzer that I used to host operating systems on, it only lasted 6 months :p

I have paid version Recuva and it works a charm, of course it cant recover everything! but it is a powerful tool.

You could run CHKDSK /R on the USB, as the USB drive may just be corrupted so cannot read the files properly and it is "possible" this may fix it.

I never use cheap USBs for long term storage, and I never pull a USB out (especially a cheap one) until I safely remove it as it can corrupt.

Back
Top Bottom