Places to get parts Thread.

TheDrunk

In Runtime
Every one knows E-Bay, Amazon, Geeks, Newegg.....

Yet I want to start a thread for every one to include places you buy parts for your mods, tools, ECT.

Feel free to add your Link and I will update it so people have a good shopping list to get places.

Xoxide.com - Custom ATX Computer Cases, PC Mods, Computer Case mods, and Modded PC Cases
Xoxide is a place to get some pretty nifty mod parts for computers and gaming consules.

Harbor Freight Tools – Quality Tools at Discount Prices Since 1977
Has good prices on tools, sometimes cheeper then amazon and E-bay. best thing is you can go in store with there online coupon and pick up same day for online prices. I love getting my prescion tools here.

Used Dell Servers, Dell Servers, Used Servers
Great place ot get used systems, from desktops to servers. they have QC items reasonably cheep.

(by: carnageX)
Computer modding / cooling / parts, pieces, and components
Performance PCs Home Page
Computer Liquid Cooling & Premium Air Products, Parts, Kits & Accessories | Sidewinder Computers
PC Water Cooling - ModMyMods.com - PC Watercooling Parts and Accessories
Mnpctech

www.digikey.com/Electronics - Electronic Components Distributor
Parts and pieces and components for electronics.

(by: -root_)
http://www.rapidonline.com/
ultra cheap suppliers

http://www.farnell.com/
one of the world's largest distributors of electronic components

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/
RS Electronics / componets

(by: setishock)
http://www.pololu.com/
A geeks candy store. Keep a tight hold on your credit card while shopping there.
Power, regulators, odds and ends parts. Crimping tools, header pin (M/F), header housings. Great prices and service. Fast shipping. I buy from there a lot and highly recommend them.

Adafruit.com Industries, Unique & fun DIY electronics and kits
All kinds of geeky goodies. Home of the Arduino in the US. Also has Pi systems.
Lots of odds and ends for the prototyping crowd. Is owned and operated by a young lady that has an EE from MIT so she knows her stuff. Decent prices and top drawer service. Has a lot of tuts on everything they sell in case you get something and get stuck on a project. I buy from there and recommend them.

http://www.superbrightleds.com/
If it lights up using leds, they got it. The component led section alone is worth a look. I use the ridged strips, AD1's, and the Dream Chaser led strip to name just a few. A recent price increase on the AD1's drove the price up from 1.99 to 2,99 each. Still a bargain as they are bright and come in assorted colors. Great service and really fast shipping. I use them a lot and highly recommend them.

http://www.futurlec.com/
Ribbon cable, headers, a lot of weird odds and ends.
Caution: They sell in lots. You get the per item price and the order is per lot. BE CAREFUL. I placed an order not knowing this and wound up with a bill for 149 when it should have been half that. My failure to pay close attention got me more crap than I'll ever need. Halfassed service and really slow shipping. Use at your own risk.

http://rtlfasteners.com/
screws, socke
Screws, nuts, washers, and tools to drive them. You come out ahead cost wise if you get the kits. American standard and metric. Make sure before you place your order you find the total cost discount page. Saves you a few bucks. Superb service and incredibly fast shipping. I buy from there and recommend them.

(by MidnightShadow)
http://pcpartpicker.com/Pick Parts, Build Your PC, Compare and Share - PCPartPicker - Searches for parts from all the major sites with a price comparison on each current site AND a historical pricing graph for each part per store. Very cool for finding a good deal from the major sites.

Last edited by a moderator:
In the UK there is maplin as a high street/retail park shop... Quite convenient...

RS, Farnell/CPC as a big name.

Rapid electronics as ultra cheap suppliers (mail order only).

Certain things are great from either eBay or Ali express... Something's not so much. (I wouldn't necessarily trust "black boxes" bought from there. Too many stories about fakes. And I've been burned myself with miss labelled memory.

Despite what the world seems to think, arduino isn't the be all/end all of hobby IC, in fact, bare chip atmel programmers are a couple of bucks, bare chips are a dollar (instead of the 50 for arduino...)
Sure depends on what you're doing but arduino is a learning and development tool. Not a final product...
There in also microchip pics... Programmers are just as cheap, chips are even cheaper, but the free tool chain is a not optimal and pain in the *** route.
Both will happily supply easy to use linkers for writing in assembly.

If you do buy tools, make sure you buy the correct ones for your application, atmel programmers won't read or write pic chips, microchip programmers read and write microchips devices.
There is a difference between serial and parallel eeprom... And a serial programmer will not program a parallel chip!

(In practice this means that a lot of people get locked into an eco system once they are "setup" for using that system.

More back on topic, microchip offer snap volume free samples.

I agree that the Arduino is a learning platform. For its simplicity and low cost, it can't really be beat. Other products like the Basic Stamp and BS II, are setup on a small board with header pins that allow it to be programmed and plugged in to a finished product. Along with the Propeller, it's not really cost effect as a one off device.

www.pololu.com
A geeks candy store. Keep a tight hold on your credit card while shopping there.
Power, regulators, odds and ends parts. Crimping tools, header pin (M/F), header housings. Great prices and service. Fast shipping. I buy from there a lot and highly recommend them.

Adafruit Industries, Unique & fun DIY electronics and kits
All kinds of geeky goodies. Home of the Arduino in the US. Also has Pi systems.
Lots of odds and ends for the prototyping crowd. Is owned and operated by a young lady that has an EE from MIT so she knows her stuff. Decent prices and top drawer service. Has a lot of tuts on everything they sell in case you get something and get stuck on a project. I buy from there and recommend them.

www.superbrightleds.com
If it lights up using leds, they got it. The component led section alone is worth a look. I use the ridged strips, AD1's, and the Dream Chaser led strip to name just a few. A recent price increase on the AD1's drove the price up from 1.99 to 2,99 each. Still a bargain as they are bright and come in assorted colors. Great service and really fast shipping. I use them a lot and highly recommend them.

Futurlec, The Electronic Components and Semiconductor Superstore
Ribbon cable, headers, a lot of weird odds and ends.
Caution: They sell in lots. You get the per item price and the order is per lot. BE CAREFUL. I placed an order not knowing this and wound up with a bill for 149 when it should have been half that. My failure to pay close attention got me more crap than I'll ever need. Halfassed service and really slow shipping. Use at your own risk.

RTL Fasteners - Hobbies, Radio Control, ( R/C or RC ), locknuts, metric screws, servo screws, socke
Screws, nuts, washers, and tools to drive them. You come out ahead cost wise if you get the kits. American standard and metric. Make sure before you place your order you find the total cost discount page. Saves you a few bucks. Superb service and incredibly fast shipping. I buy from there and recommend them.

I have others I get RC related devices from if ya'll want me to post them, let me know.

Last edited:
the one where the link is a mile long, if you notice when i have put the sites in the origonal thread I loose the discriptor?

Futurlec, The Electronic Components and Semiconductor Superstore

but a hyper link ?

Some sites just don't parse out into the site title I've noticed - could also be that if you post a lot of links, vB doesn't parse all of them.

It also only parses on a an initial and not an Edit of a post.

You can't copy the hyper link unless you can edit the post it came from.
However...
Click the link and go to the web site and grab the URL from your browser. When you post it, it will flair out like the one in question.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom