Fdisk issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

intercodes

Daemon Poster
Hiya,

Today I assembled and configured a system for my friend. So I was ready to format the hard disk [ seagate -80GB-IDE-7200RPM ]

I had windows 98 and windows XP disc. So I started to paritition with fdisk using windows 98 disc.
But fdisk only showed total space as 10GB...I tried again and again using fdisk, it showed only 10 GB. BIOS shows 80Gb

Now, i put Xp disk and used the diskpart to partition and now i can see 80GB. So i paritioned and installed XP.

So what is wrong with fdisk? Am i missing something here.... i thought this was weird and try to get some suggestion here...

Thanks for the help!

did you enable large drive support in fdisk? also you could have been using an old version of DOS. download the winME startup disk from bootdisk.com and try it. the bios doesn't show you the capacity of a hard disk, you were reading the ID off that device.

FDISK reads the data from your BIOS. That's why it is reading lower capacities sometimes. Updating the BIOS may help.

Thanks for the suggestions, i didn't know you moved this from off-topic to windows forum. ;)

did you enable large drive support in fdisk?

Yes,I did enable it.

also you could have been using an old version of DOS.
I was using the DOS which comes with windows 98 Bootable disk.

Anyz, thanks guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom