Computer locking out (100% usage c drive)

i tried the cmd thing and nothing different happened, i tried a bunch of other fixes with no avail, I'll see if running a defrag and optimize does something
Did it find any bad sectors or anything? Does it happen when you run a particular application or anything like that?

Sorry lol.

Check task manager > processes, then sort by "memory usage" and screenshot/ post the results please

OP said when the system locks up and can't run anything - but memory usage wouldn't be as helpful as running Resource Monitor -> Disk usage and sorting by Total that way.

Did it find any bad sectors or anything? Does it happen when you run a particular application or anything like that?

OP said when the system locks up and can't run anything - but memory usage wouldn't be as helpful as running Resource Monitor -> Disk usage and sorting by Total that way.

But it doesn't lock up straight away... It's random.. A quick check on task manager may be all she needs to find the issue and quicker in case it locks up again... I only look in resource manager when I need more detailed information... But anyways both methods will show the same results :cool:

But it doesn't lock up straight away... It's random.. A quick check on task manager may be all she needs to find the issue and quicker in case it locks up again... I only look in resource manager when I need more detailed information... But anyways both methods will show the same results :cool:

Resource Monitor would still be more helpful in this case IMO, since it's her Disk usage that's getting pegged and not her memory ;).

Could be a number of things, a malicious program, antivirus running in the background or even M$ downloading updates and uploading data
You need to know what it is running in the background and eating up your resources, Also check your network activity to see if there's any relation to the hard drive's activity

Last edited:
I've recently updated my OS witch has shortened the time it tacks to respond a little but it still locks out when I'm playing skyrim or any other offline game, but it does't lock out when I'm playing warframe (a more demanding online game). I do know that i have a lot of programs running on start up but it never locks out then, I've even disabled all non essential programs when I'm not using them but it still locks up, also msmpeng.exe seems to use the most read/write when my computer locks out.

msmpeng.exe is related to Windows Defender - it may be scanning during the day while you're using it. Check the settings for it. Would also suggest running some additional malware scans:

Firstly, run a scan with Malwarebytes Antimalware (the Free version is fine, you don't need to activate the Pro trial). Scan with it, delete whatever it finds, reboot and post the log here. Download it from here:
https://www.malwarebytes.org/mwb-download/

Secondly, run a scan with AdwCleaner. Same as above, scan with it, delete what it finds, post the log file here. Download from here:
AdwCleaner Download

Thirdly, run a scan with HiJackThis. Run it as Admin, pick the "scan and generate log" option, and then post the logfile here. Do NOT remove ANYTHING unless told to do so, as removing the wrong entry can damage your system. Download it from here:
HiJackThis | SourceForge.net

i tried the cmd thing and nothing different happened, i tried a bunch of other fixes with no avail, I'll see if running a defrag and optimize does something
Has the OP run a disk check yet?
Have you run a defrag on your hard drive yet?
What program are you using to "Optimize" with?

Back
Top Bottom