Computer locking out (100% usage c drive)

Atsuko_Soul

Beta member
Recently my computer has been locking out a lot, my c drive go's to 100% with 0 average response time, read speed and write speed it happens randomly, its relay annoying. Can anyone help me out

What OS are you running? HDD or SSD?

Open up Resource Monitor from Task Manager and look at the Disk usage tab. You can sort by Total Read/Write bytes to see what processes are affected.

What OS are you running? HDD or SSD?

Open up Resource Monitor from Task Manager and look at the Disk usage tab. You can sort by Total Read/Write bytes to see what processes are affected.
I'm running win 10 pro x64, when my computer freezes i hath to restart os i don't know whats affected

Would suggest running a disk check to start, then:

Start -> type 'cmd' (without quotes) -> right click -> run as admin -> in the console window that pops up type:
chkdsk C: /f /r
Press Enter and it will say it cannot lock the current drive and to run on next reboot. Type Y and hit Enter -> Reboot your computer and let it run through the check (it may take some time, depending on how big your HDD is).

Do you have a spare computer? You need to see what's causing your c drive to fill up... A hard drive at 90%+ capacity will start to freeze up (maybe not ssd?) ..

Plug your drive into another machine and install tree size https://www.jam-software.com/treesize_free/ to see where this excessive data build up is..

What would you say your c drive usage was normally? And have you installed any software recently?

Do you have a spare computer? You need to see what's causing your c drive to fill up... A hard drive at 90%+ capacity will start to freeze up (maybe not ssd?) ..

Plug your drive into another machine and install tree size https://www.jam-software.com/treesize_free/ to see where this excessive data build up is..

What would you say your c drive usage was normally? And have you installed any software recently?

I interpreted "100% usage" as in the disk monitor / light being constantly lit up, not 100% usage in regards to capacity/data storage.

i tried the cmd thing and nothing different happened, i tried a bunch of other fixes with no avail, I'll see if running a defrag and optimize does something

Back
Top Bottom