removal of cmos battery

Status
Not open for further replies.

rookie1010

Fully Optimized
Hi
I was wondering how to remove the CMOS battery?
i mean are there are any precautions i should be aware of?

nope, just lift it out with something non-conducting to pry and pop right out. real simple.

just making sure
is it the dime sized battery. can it clear whatever has gone wrong with my settings

i removed the battery and replaced it, when i turn on my machine, i get the message

"CMOS Checksum Error - Defaults Loaded", :( what do i do now?

go with the flow. get back into bios and reconfigure to your liking. next time you boot, everything will be normal.

what happened was that when you replaced the battery, the current boot settings didn't match the one on cmos memory, so the default settings were loaded...

thanks, it seems to be fixed now.
what do you mean by "the current boot settings didn't match the one on cmos memory", the current boot settings are the one in the cmos memory, i am not sure what i did in the cmos memory. i just changed the dates and times, and hit default on the rest and saved before i exited, it works.

rookie1010 said:
thanks, it seems to be fixed now.
what do you mean by "the current boot settings didn't match the one on cmos memory", the current boot settings are the one in the cmos memory, i am not sure what i did in the cmos memory. i just changed the dates and times, and hit default on the rest and saved before i exited, it works.

what it means is that cmos takes a data copy of the configuration settings in the form of a numeric code that is called checksum, and is stored on cmos memory. everytime you boot, the current checksum will be compared to the one on memory. If the checksum matches, the system will continue to boot with the settings. If not, the system will fall back onto factoy defaults. This is for system security purposes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom