Intermittent network failure

soul_man

Baseband Member
ASRock x99 Extreme 4 motherboard
Intel Core i7 processor
Windows 7, then upgraded to 10 (with no change in problem).

Had intermittent failure to connect to network via router-cable modem.
Device manager under "Intel Ethernet Connection (2) 1218-V" says "This device cannot start. (Code 10)". The troubleshooter says "... adapter is experiencing driver or hardware-related problems". Driver is up to date by updating via Device Manager.

I figured the LAN on the motherboard was bad, so I installed an "Intel Gigabit CT desktop Adapter" in a PCI slot. Worked well for a while, but now will intermittently go out. Drivers up to date for this one (I tried to install the Intel driver updater form Intel but it doesn't detect any Intel items that are updateable....) per Device Manager.

I forget the error messages on this, but usually there is none. Reports it is working properly and the only "error" I can get is the "a network cable is unplugged". No amount of plugging in the cable fixes it (even replaced thinking the cable was bad).

Of course as I started typing this on my laptop, the network started working. (Router and modem work fine with everything else, although the desktop in question is the only one plugged into the router, the rest are via WiFi)

I've tried uninstalling/reinstalling, diabling/enabling via device manager. I've diabled the onboard LAN in the BIOS to use the Gigabit card. Nothing seems to work when it stops working, and when it works again it seems to be random rather than anything I've done.

The Gigabit was installed prior to changing from Windows 7 to 10, and that had no effect on the Gigabit or onboard LAN.

Network just went out. Now Device Manager for the Intel gigabit adapter says "Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)"

When it did that I disabled it, the enabled it and now it is working again. That does not always work....

Go to device manager and open network devices. Find your Intel device. Click on properties and run the tests. That will eliminate the chip and drivers as being the problem.

Network just went out. Now Device Manager for the Intel gigabit adapter says "Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)"

When it did that I disabled it, the enabled it and now it is working again. That does not always work....

First unplug power cable and keep pushing the power button for about 10 times (to discharge capacitors) and wait around 2 minutes... then plug in and see if that fixes it.

If not..

Try this (changing duplex settings) - Goto: Device manager > properties of the NIC > "link speed" tab > "speed and duplex" tab > change from "auto" to 100Mbps full duplex > click "ok"

Last edited:
Had replied to setishock, but it must not have gotten sent:

I'm in Windows 10 (if that makes a difference) and there are no "tests" under any of the tabs in the Device Manager properties. I think there were when I was in Windows 7 as I recall running some tests, and they all came back OK as I recall.

i2D: there is also no "link speed" tab or command I can find under any of the tabs (I assume NIC is Network Interface(?) Card or my network adapter).

It still happens, but less frequently. It now appears that I can reliable disable and the enable the adapter and it will start to work. The computer is usable, but I'd love to find a permanent "fix"

i2D: OK, found it. Under "advanced" there is a drop down list of properties and "speed & duplex" is there. Changed 10 100 Mbps Full Duplex. Will see what happens.

Was this issue resolved? I'm interested in this one but see no resolution and don't want to offer more suggestions if the ones mentioned already fixed it.

No resolution. Still happens. Not frequent. When it does I go to "Device Manager" and disable and then re-enable to Network card and it seems to work fine. No idea why it stops working, or why it starts to work again when I do that.

Sounds like a driver issue then. Did you try my suggestion of getting the driver from Intel?

Back
Top Bottom