Independent Power.

Spud1200

Fully Optimized
What is available for an independent Power unit of some sort. I have no idea. UPS's in the Kilowatt will tear your bank account apart so I'm looking at second hand or some sort of Generator. I spoke to Joe about this last time and yes after much reading I do think a Generator might be out the question since I would gas my self over night and thats even with an electric unit. :omg: :lol:

What about second hand battery's connected or a second hand unit. How many battery would it take to power a flat. I know I've posted before but since that was regarding the use of genies; I'm not going too Gas my self. :omg:

Is their any affordable like DIY options available.

A bank of multiple batteries required to power your home might produce enough hydrogen that you won't need to worry and fixating yourself, unless you keep them outside
Possibly use a windmill for an alternate power source?

Google for off grid homes. If you have your battery and invertor rack in your living quarters, you stand the chance of a explosion from off gassing when the batteries are charging. Wet batteries give the best charge and discharge curves but they required more attention and there's the off gassing.
Lead acid GEL type batteries are a better choice. But if you run them down too far the amperage capacity is reduced.
Li ion is out because of the cost per watt. Extreme fire hazard.
LIPo are the same besides the fact the charging and discharging is so finicky you could blow yourself up and burn your house down.

Think of what you would want to operate when the power goes off and go from there. Anything you can convert to gas you should. Gas is cheap and is not dependent on the power being on. Gas heat, gas stove, and there's even gas fridges. Your gas heat needs to be radiant and work with out a blower. A free standing space heater depending on it's output, will warm several rooms. The loo is always going to be the coldest room in the house. Don't ask me why, just seems that way. You can install a small heater in there if you can afford it.

Switch to LED lighting. I get 20" long LED strips with 30 really bright 5050 smd LEDs on them. They run off 12 volts and pull very little amps. The strips can be chopped up and put under cabinets in the kitchen and tacked to the ceiling in other rooms. 20usd from www.superbrightleds.com
You can cut the strips up and make desk lamps and wall sconces. Let me add the strips are rigid not a limp noodle type that comes on a roll.

There's a lot you can do to add battery back up to those also. Just a 14ah gel battery with a float charger will let you have light from just one these strips for a couple of days run time if used sparingly.

How far you want to go depends on how much you want to spend to start off. It wil take a while to recoup the cost of hardware. I love LEDs. I can light up my apartment for a tenth of what it costs to run the pigtail floro bulbs.

Last edited:
Here's the strips I was talking about. They're over my work tables.
attachment.php

I took and cut out 2, 6 LED strips and strapped them to a piece of a paint stick. They're in a Styrofoam take out box for burgers. On the ceiling it lit up the entire room.

attachment.php

if you have a creek, look in to using a car altornator/generator and using the current from the creek to power the device in order to charge marine gel 24 cell batterie bank

Here's the strips I was talking about. They're over my work tables.
attachment.php

I took and cut out 2, 6 LED strips and strapped them to a piece of a paint stick. They're in a Styrofoam take out box for burgers. On the ceiling it lit up the entire room.

attachment.php

Love the lighting, and your workbench.
how much does it cost you to run the lights ?

LEDs take a lot less current to operate. There's no filament to warm up. The outlay to get started can be daunting, but if you shop carefully, you can get good deals.
Here's the specs on the strips I use.
https://www.superbrightleds.com/mor...power-3-chip-leds/99/483/#/tab/Specifications

The ones I use are natural white. I selected those because the lighting simulates daylight. At only 520milliamps, you could run 8 of these strips off one 5 amp power pack. And you can get PWM dimmers for them. If that's just 2 of them in the top picture, imagine what you could do with 8 of them. And yeah you can save a bundle on your power bill. After you recover you startup outlay, the rest is gravy.

FYI: A flat is an apartment. I don't think the property manager nor the owner will let him do what he has in mind.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom