installing the motherboard *Need advice*

Revan_onarsi

Solid State Member
HEY guys

I'M installing My motherboard and I've seen some vids on people installing the board by holding the heatsink ive been tempted to do but just wanted To check would it damage. The board or heat sink screwholes?

I certainly wouldn't carry my motherboard around by the heatsink, but when installing it's not uncommon to hold by the heat sink. I'm sure you'll get varying answers on this, but I believe there's no harm if you're not being completely careless. That's not to say that nothing bad will ever come of it, but it's highly unlikely.

Last edited:
I wouldn't carry it around by the heat sink. When I install a board I take it by the right and bottom edges and first guide it in to the adaptor plate in the back then ease it down on the stand offs.

You can hold it by the heatsink (if its attached correctly) as it doesn't really weigh a lot.. however I tend to just lay the case on its side and place in the mobo by holding corners....

I attach the memory and cpu/heatsink to a new board, lay the case on it's side and then I do pick up the board by it's heatsink and then line it up inside the case, been doing that for a long time and I do not think it hurts the board

If you're using a stock Intel heatsink I wouldn't hold it by the heatsink because the plastic clips are pieces of trash and can snap off. Certain boards like my current one are pretty heavy. I think the best way is to grab the board by the edges when moving them around. When I had my TRUE120 I used to carry boards by that heatsink because the backplate was so solid.

Back
Top Bottom