Screen resolution won't fit monitor?

Wileyy23

Beta member
Alright, so my laptop screen has been severely cracked for over two years (so badly that I can't use the left portion of the screen and also some of the right side). I have been using external monitors or televisions with hdmi inputs since it broke and have run into few problems. I recently moved and got all new stuff including a tv. Currently the tv is the only thing I have that I can use as an external monitor.

My problem lies in the resolution. There is no resolution available that will fit the screen. Most of them are far too wide and long, so much that portions of my desktop are "hanging off" of the screen, and the others are so small I can't really see anything... Any ideas?

After you power up the laptop, close the lid. I have an HP G7 that if you leave the lid open the desktop doesn't fit correctly on the TV screen. If I close it, it resizes the desktop to fit.

Of course you'll have to use an external keyboard and mouse.

I'm not sure what the native resolution is. Is there a way to find that out? I tried closing the lid but it did not automatically resize to the screen.

I'm not sure what the native resolution is. Is there a way to find that out? I tried closing the lid but it did not automatically resize to the screen.

Post the brand/model of the laptop.

Could just be that you need to adjust the overscan settings for the TV.

After you power up the laptop, close the lid. I have an HP G7 that if you leave the lid open the desktop doesn't fit correctly on the TV screen. If I close it, it resizes the desktop to fit.

Of course you'll have to use an external keyboard and mouse.

If the screen res matches up, then what seti suggested could be the reason.

It's an hp g72 and how do I even access over scan settings on my tv? I can't find anything like that in any of the menu settings. The tv brand is element. That's about all I know about it. It doesn't seem very new either it's probably around the same age as my laptop

No i dont I didnt even know that there was a control panel i had to install. I sort of assumed my laptop would come equipped with that. can you provide a link please? Also it could have something to do with the overscan setting on my tv which i cant find anywhere even in the factory settings menu.... i have windows 8.1 installed... is this possibly a part of the problem? I have been reading a bit and it seems a lot of people cant find the gpu control panel on it... screw windows 8.1

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom