how can I share internet access?

Status
Not open for further replies.

katsumoto

Baseband Member
Does anyone know how to share an internet connection via router, hub, or switch between more than one computer without subscribing for another line? I'm thinking of sharing a basic DSL connection. Thanx for any advice you can give me.

not quite lol :)
unless he has wireless, it's not about to share over thin air, first he need a router or ethernet hub type thingy with 2 slots, then he needs to run a cable from each slot to each computer, if it's in another room, you may have to look into threading it through the wall... :confused:

but he could just shell out the extra $ and buy the the wireless hub and cards for both pcs :p

buy the wired router. it simpler to install and more secure. I'd assume he had a router already

it depends, some of the wireless have 256 bit or higher encryption, but you dont have much to worry about unless you're doing something illegal or for some strange reason transmit passwords over internet, and unless 2 comps are next to each other, its a pain in @$$ to wire thru walls, believe me, i did with cable tv, surround sound and my ethernet,
on the other hand you could just tape it along the wall and put tons of furniture all around and paint over so no one would notice :p lol

hardwired (not wireless) routers are soooooo easy to use and waaaaay cheaper. I got my 4 or 5 port router for like $8 brand new and there was none, zero, zilch, no software to install.

If you have a router all is fine. If not then I vote for wireless if you don't want to run wires/cables. With the encryption now adays, you don't have too much to worry about. There is also nothing hard about setting up a wireless network. I have 4 computers on my wireless network. One is running Win98SE (The primary computer connected by eternet to the router.) A desktop running WinXP, A Laptop running WinXP and A Laptop running Win2000. All can see each other, print to central printer and surf the internet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom