New Build PC not Powering up

spike47

Baseband Member
Hi

I have just completed building a new build PC , with a new case and a used board , board is a GIGABYTE : GA-EQ45M-S2 rev 2.0 , 600W PSU , CPU : Intel Core 2 Quad 8200 , incl HDD , DVD RW .

I have double checked the "F" Panel conections ( lots of times ) changed the CPU from original Board , cleared the bios , put a new bios battery in , but still no luck , the led light on the board comes on but when I press the start button nothing happens , checked the switch on the front panel it is ok .
there is a chassis intrusion terminal on the board , there was no jumper on it . so I put a jumper on , again no power up .

Not sure what else I can check , does the power button connect a positive or negative feed back to the board ! .

If any one can give me anything to test , that would be great .

spike

Do you have both the 24pin power connector and the 4 (or 8 pin) CPU connector (usually top-left corner of the board) from the PSU plugged in? Both securely plugged in? Have you triple-checked all PSU connections, made sure RAM is fully inserted?

Do any fans spin when you press the power button? You can rule out the power button by removing the power button terminals from the front panel headers, and short the 2 power button pins with a screw driver and see if it turns on that way.

Would suggest taking it down to only basic components to test if it boots up. 1 stick of RAM, CPU, PSU, and GPU (unless you have onboard graphics, then just use that to test). See if you can get the BIOS splash screen that way.

Do you have both the 24pin power connector and the 4 (or 8 pin) CPU connector (usually top-left corner of the board) from the PSU plugged in? Both securely plugged in? Have you triple-checked all PSU connections, made sure RAM is fully inserted?

Do any fans spin when you press the power button? You can rule out the power button by removing the power button terminals from the front panel headers, and short the 2 power button pins with a screw driver and see if it turns on that way.

Would suggest taking it down to only basic components to test if it boots up. 1 stick of RAM, CPU, PSU, and GPU (unless you have onboard graphics, then just use that to test). See if you can get the BIOS splash screen that way.

Hi

Thanks for your reply , Yes I have the CPU 12V pluged in and No there is no movement from Fans or anything , checked all connections into the Board , as I said the LED Light on the Board lights up . yes I have shorted the 2 pins that power up on the Board .and it only has one stick of RAM , changed that for another one but still no luck , will have try and send the Board back ! .

Ys have just read the Problem part , pretty standard stuff really , nothing for me though .

cheers

spike

Last edited:
Do you have a case speaker at all, or access to one? Then we could see if you're getting a beep code.

Do you have a case speaker at all, or access to one? Then we could see if you're getting a beep code.

Hi

Thanks for your reply , yes there is a case speaker fitted onto the MoBo , and no sound comes from it , when I press the power on switch nothing happens , but the strange thing for me is that the board led is on , so there is power to the Board , I just thought that there may have been some area's on ther board to test with a meter to see if there is power there ! .

tks

spike

I know this might sound stupid but this has happened to me before and my question is have to got the PSU switched on Via. the back. Has it got a switch for you to flick too I from O . I know its simple and sounds stupid but thats happened to me before.

I know this might sound stupid but this has happened to me before and my question is have to got the PSU switched on Via. the back. Has it got a switch for you to flick too I from O . I know its simple and sounds stupid but thats happened to me before.

If the LED on the board is on, I don't think the PSU switch would be the issue.

I think that without any beep codes you're out of luck as far as diagnosis goes, given what you've tried already.

From what I can read the board is powering up shorting the Pins from what you have posted. So my next question would be have you installed the Power Button Pins, the Reset Button Pins, and the HDD Led Pins the correct way. I have all ways been aware they should be facing away from the board on the out side. HHD, PWR, RST text on the pins facing away from the Board to the out side.

From what I can read the board is powering up shorting the Pins from what you have posted. So my next question would be have you installed the Power Button Pins, the Reset Button Pins, and the HDD Led Pins the correct way. I have all ways been aware they should be facing away from the board on the out side. HHD, PWR, RST text on the pins facing away from the Board to the out side.

Hi
The Board is not powering up ! , anyway folks thanks for All your replies , I have just wrapped it up and am sending it back , hopefully for a refund ! , some you win some you loose and I think I have just lost .

cheers

spike

cheers

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom