Sound ports not working (but does through hdmi)

danhodge

In Runtime
Hi, so I recently installed a new card, the r9 270x, and the card works fine, but after installing, my sound stopped working out of both my front and rear audio ports. It just emits a veeery loud buzzing instead (and my mic doesn't work in the mic in port, its all of them). However, my HDMI port still lets me play sound through my second monitor, and my USB webcam still works as a mic. But, obviously, this isn't exactly optimal for someone on games 24/7.

Now, during installation, i accidentally installed nvidia drivers (i'm an idiot, the card was given to me in an nvidia box and i didn't think to check it, its second hand from family), and i'm also uncertain whether i knocked something during installation. I've attempted to uninstall the nvidia drivers (apparently they can get clingy?) and i took the computer to a repair shop to see what they said (they had no idea, but i'm guessing if i'd messed up with hardware they would have noticed).

The card was an upgrade from a 7850, so not much of a difference in power, and i'm using a 600w corsair psu, so i thought it would be enough.

So, any theories? Repair shop basically said "replace the motherboard, but we have no idea whats wrong with it". All i can think of is that apparently cards that draw a lot of power can cause disruption in wires or something like that, or maybe the onboard sound just decided to die (would hdmi still be able to output sound if onboard audio wasn't working?).

Thanks a lot,
Danny

Okay, if noone knows what went wrong here, does anyone think buying a sound card will fix the problem?

Just tried it, problem persists. I use Realtek HD audio manager, I wont need to wipe that, will I?
It is now, but it wasn't, I messed around in the playback device settings for ages before. I don't think the speakers are even set as my primary device when i plug them in and they make the loud buzzing noise. But yeah, the HDMI still works fine, and i find it so weird.

Oops, sorry, I misunderstood what the problem was. Thought you were having with HDMI audio output.

If you switch back to the old card, does the problem persist? Have you tried reinstalling your Realtek drivers?

Oh okay, just front and rear audio ports :)

It did, yeah. And I have, just uninstalled them and still no luck unfortunately.

A buzz in audio either means a load mismatch or a short in the audio feed to ground. Check every thing in the case that could be contacting a ground point that shouldn't be.

I did, when it first happened and i panicked, I ended up rebuilding the entire system to make sure that wasn't the problem. I literally took it apart to its components and rebuilt it, I can't imagine i messed up with grounding again afterwards :confused:

Back
Top Bottom